ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Can't see texture when importing .OBJ files into IPro Invogorator 5

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BerryCan't see texture when importing .OBJ files into IPro Invogorator 5
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:25:43 pm

Let me start off by saying I'm and extreme newbie when it comes to 3D and this app in particular. I've only been using it for about an hour, so please fogive my possibly lame question. :)

OK, I have a .obj file I created (in Qubicle if that's any help) which saves as three separate files, "filename.obj", "filename.png" and "filname.mtl". I can import this obj file into Photoshop for example with no problems, all the colours and textures are there. Unfortunately, when I import the same obj file into After Affects via Invigorator 5, I just get the model with no textures or colours, and although I've tried, I can't seem to be able to get the textures to appear.

Can someone help me or point me to an idiot's guide to importing an obj file and associated textures?

Thanks for reading.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: Can't see texture when importing .OBJ files into IPro Invogorator 5
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 8:33:29 pm

Hi Mike,

When you import a .obj object into 3D Invigorator PRO, the object will not have any materials applied to it. To apply a texture map, go into the Material Editor panel, and double click the Color box. This will open a window where you can select the map. Then, after you select your image map, you can drag and drop the material ball onto your object and the texture map will be applied.

For documentation on the Material Editor controls, please see the page below:

http://zaxwerks.com/online_docs/3D_Invigorator_AE/5.0/a_materialEditor.html

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Mike BerryRe: Can't see texture when importing .OBJ files into IPro Invogorator 5
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:28:54 pm

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it, and of course, thanks to you, I have now got (sort of!) the textures/materials working now.

Unfortunately it seems that Invigorator Pro isn't quite 100% compatible with OBJ files as a couple of colours appear to be missing. I know this is a problem with Invigorator rather than the OBJ file because as I stated previously, if I import the same file into a Photoshop 3D layer, the colours are fine. Looks like I have to figure a way to convert the OBJ file to something like a 3DS file as these file types seem to work perfectly. Unfortunately 3D Studio is way out of my price range, and even if it wasn't, the learning curve is too long and too great. A 3rd party app that could convert the OBJ file to a 3DS one would be great, but I suspect there's nothing cheap to do this, and I don't plan doing anything more than converting about 20 OBJ files.

Thank you again for your help, Edward.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: Can't see texture when importing .OBJ files into IPro Invogorator 5
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:30:03 am

Hi Mike,

Can go you into a little more details about the colors being missing? Is it not applied at certain spots? If so, you can create additional materials and apply the material on those uncolored objects. When importing the model, it may be getting imported as several pieces, so this may be why some parts are not colored. You will need to apply a separate material to each object.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]