ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

reflector doesn't track object as it rotates

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cope
reflector doesn't track object as it rotates
on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:36:45 pm

I am using proanimator and 3D reflector. I have an animated book object which rotates as it moves towards the camera from a book spine view through 90 degrees to face the camera square on. The problem with this rotation is that the reflection doesn’t keep uniformly to the bottom of the book. Since one side of the book naturally appears to rise from the floor surface during the turn (if you look at it in a 2D way), the reflection on that side moves away from the surface creating a raised image.

Is there any way to keep the reflection flat with the base of the book through the turn? I have tried after effects orientations, rotations, distortions in 3D but even when I combine them in key framing each frame it doesn’t work. I have tried duplicating the model and rotating through XYZ but the duplicated image will simply rise away from itself in the same way as the reflection does. Can I create the floor reflection in proanimator or is there a way of keeping a flat floor reflection with reflector.

I really hope you can help me on this one as I have just about exhausted what I can come up with on my own. I know it can be done because I see it in other animations all the time. I think I must be missing the point somewhere but really need your help.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: reflector doesn't track object as it rotates
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:16:05 pm

Hi John,

Since I can't see your project setup, I'm not too sure how things are positioned. However, if you are working with an object and want the reflection to be flat with the book, then you'll want to check that while the book is rotating, it is a 90 degree Y rotation. Make sure that the book is not rotating in any other directions. If the book stays flat on the floor, the reflection will stay flat as well.

If you're still unsure about how to set it up, you can send the project file to ed@zaxwerks.com and I'll take a look at your setup.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]