ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3d Layer Warp shadow map resolution

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Maynard
3d Layer Warp shadow map resolution
on May 10, 2010 at 12:02:46 am

I'm using 3D Layer warm to warp a fish. As the head and tail of the fish lift away from the background, I want to cast shadows. I've got that all worked out, but the shadows look horrible, like the shadow map resolution is turned down all the way. I've gone into composition settings and cranked it up to 4000, but it doesn't make a difference.

I've tried making the warped layer and the shadow catcher layer both 3D and both 2D, but neither has an effect. I'm using a comp light to cast the shadow, but the 3D layer warp camera. I've tried using a comp camera, and that didn't make a difference either.

Is there some other place to increase the shadow map resolution?

Return to posts index

Chip Maynard
Re: 3d Layer Warp shadow map resolution
on May 10, 2010 at 12:04:10 am

Here's a look at the shadow

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 10, 2010 at 6:52:20 pm

Hi Chip,

Thanks for attaching the picture. What you may be running into is that if your Shadow Catcher layer is extremely big, this may cause your shadows to look pixelated. For example, if the Shadow Quality is set to 4000, but the floor is 12000x12000, then the shadow is stretched 3 times. This will cause the shadow to look pixelated. Try reducing the size of the Shadow Catcher layer, and your shadow should look a lot better.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Chip Maynard
on May 10, 2010 at 9:04:04 pm

Thanks Edward,

The shadow catcher layer is comp size (under 1000 in both dimensions)
Funny thing is that when I rendered out the comp, the shadow was fine.

It's only in the comp view window that the shadow looks bad.
Quality is set to full, size is 100%, and all layers are in best (not draft) quality mode.

I give up! As long as the render is clean.

-Chip

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on May 11, 2010 at 8:59:34 pm

Interesting. If you send the project file to me, I can take a look at what may be causing the issue for you. My e-mail address is ed@zaxwerks.com

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]