ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Self-shadow in Serpentine?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Marshall
Self-shadow in Serpentine?
on May 5, 2010 at 11:27:18 pm

Hi:

I can't tell from the manual whether I should be able to successfully have different Serpent elements cast shadows upon each other in a single iteration of Serpentine.

I have a layer with Serpentine applied and five different solids creating paths to generate five ribbons. I have a spotlight and camera in the scene. If I make the light cast shadows I sort of get some ribbons casting shadows on others, but there are some artifacts, even with the shadow quality cranked up to 4000. The artifacts become more apparent as I increase the shadow diffusion on the spotlight. You can see these artifacts running perpendicular to the ribbons in this image:

Here's the same image with "Casts Shadows" turned off on the spotlight:

The spotlight is at least 2000 pixels away from the path objects. To be clear, I'm not attempting to make these ribbons cast shadows onto another layer. I want accurate shadows generated within this single iteration of Serpentine on one layer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Self-shadow in Serpentine?
on May 6, 2010 at 7:34:36 pm

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the detailed post. I looked into this and it looks like you may be running into a bug with spot lights casting shadows. We've fixed this issue now so if you send me an e-mail, I can send you an updated version of the software.

Please contact me at ed@zaxwerks.com

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]