ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Spike and harsh edges won't go away

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Schmitt
Spike and harsh edges won't go away
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:20:56 pm

Hi there!

As much as I love Proanimator, I don't use it enough to be proficient at troubleshooting! I'm working on a rush job and I'm trying to sell my client on the idea of gold lettering with a light passing in front of it.

I set up bevels and stuff and it looks great in Proanimator, but once I close that window, After Effects sees a jagged, spikey rough image instead of the smooth, pretty one the Proanimator sees.

I have played with the settings, spike killer, etc until the letters don't even show up in proanimator but it always looks the same in After effects. A big spike coming off of Walt Disney and no smooth edges on the rest of the image.

When I change the bevels or presets, they do reflect in AE, but with rough edges and the spike.

On the screen shot I have included, I isolated Walt Disney and tried a smaller bevel and still get the same results.

Here is my set up:

Mac Pro, dual quad core 3.2 GHz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVidia 8800 (I think) vid card.
After Effects CS4
Latest download of Proanimator

Project/comp settings ::: Custom 1280 x 720 square pixel, 16 bit 8 seconds long.

thats about it.

If there is a simple solution that I can implement when I get home this evening, i would love to hear it!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Schmitt
Re: Spike and harsh edges won't go away
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:59:29 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED> THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:11:49 pm

Hi Mike.

I'm glad you solved your problem. Would you mind telling us what you did to fix it?

I was thinking that a few adjustments to your outline would do it.
Sometimes, when there are a bunch of outline points really close together, our geometry engine can create
the spikes you sometimes see.

The Spike Buster slider usually does the trick, but not in all cases.

Thanks.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike Schmitt
on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:30:50 pm

Sure.
It turned out that the trouble was in the 'draft' settings. In the process of troubleshooting I started with the spike buster, by changing the settings and going into AE to see if it worked.

Then tried different settings on the letters themselves.

As I tried things and went back and forth from AE to Proanimator, I was moving faster and faster.

When i finally got to play with the draft settings, I would move it to the left and immediately exit to AE. What I didn't realize was I was moving so fast that I would pull the draft controls all the way to the left and when I lifted my mouse and closed Proanimator to go back to AE, the control bar was zipping back to the original position, so I wasn't seeing a change at all.

Once I slowed down, I noticed this happening and was able to correct the settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]