ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3D text graphics distributed around the Y

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman3D text graphics distributed around the Y
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:27:43 pm

I have a city name (it can be any word really) with a space then the name repeated. At first I tried to do this just with built in text in ProAnimator but my font is not available. I then created an Illustrator graphic with my text, which I did convert to outlines.
When I brought this into ProAnimator and tried to distributed around the Y the two sets of words just bunched up at both ends.
Example: instead of say [New York New York] I get [NewYorkNewYork]
So I then decided I need blanks to fill in those gaps. I could then make the blanks invisible objects so they don't render. However when I do this what I get is all the blanks lining up together at the end of the character letters.
Example: instead of say [New•York•New•York•] I get [NewYorkNewYork•••]
Why is it doing this? These are no longer text elements. They are just shapes.
I want to have the ring of text to revolve in front of the camera. Maybe even have the camera fly in and around the ring.

Return to posts index

Matt RhodesRe: 3D text graphics distributed around the Y
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:44:41 pm

Hi Ken.

We don't have a good way of rearranging object "birth order" at this point.
We'd suggest re-creating your Illustrator file by doing the following:
1. Create a new document.
2. Copy "New York" and paste it into the new document.
3. Copy a spacer object and paste it into the new document.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for additional "New York" and spacers.
5. Save your new document and import that. The objects should import in the desired order.

Note: If you can find a way to make the font available (which one are you using?), you can do this within the PA text editor by putting spaces in between your words.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Ken LatmanRe: 3D text graphics distributed around the Y
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 6:49:01 pm

After much head banging I figured out that birth order is the issue. Thanks for your help. The font I am using is Folio Bold Condensed

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: 3D text graphics distributed around the Y
by on Sep 16, 2009 at 5:55:36 pm

Hi Ken,

You've got the right idea.

Here is my process if I am working with an Illustrator file in your situation:

1) In Adobe Illustrator, type the words "NEW_YORK_NEW_YORK_". You will need the four underscores (or you can use any other characters as a space marker). If you use spaces, once you use the "Create Outlines" command, you will lose the space.

2) Use the "Type > Create Outlines" command to turn the text into vector outlines.

3) Select the text outlines, and use the "Ungroup" command to make all the characters independent. You will need to do this so you can spread all the characters evenly with the Distribute tool.

4) Save the Illustrator file with no compression.

5) In ProAnimator, open the Illustrator file. You should have something similar to the image below:

6) Select the Pose, and choose the "Distribute Circle Y" command to have the the text into a circle.

7) Adjust the "Size" (I used "170" in my example). Your characters should now be distributed like the screen shot below:

8) Select the underscore characters (or any of the space placeholders), go into "Object Mode" and select the "Make Invisible" command. You should now be able to revolve your characters around the camera with the proper spacing, as shown below:

Hope this helps!

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]