ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

.obj files and AE camera

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Gladstone.obj files and AE camera
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 5:19:45 pm

I am trying to place four .obj files (of buildings) on a flat 3d plane (representing the ground) in order to fly a camera around all of the objects. But as soon as I click the "use comp camera" button, the obj image disappears completely. As a test I have done the same thing with simple 3d text created in InvigPro, and it seems to work fine. The problem is only with obj files.

Bottom line is that I have been unable to use AE's camera to fly around a obj file. Since I can get it to work with Invig 3d text, I know my procedure is correct. Why can't I don this with a obj file?

I must use AE's camera because this is a very complicated camera move with many objects involved.
Please help!!
Using Invig Pro on HP 9300 with Nvidia Quadro FX 4800, vista 64, 12 gig ram, CS4

Thanks

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: .obj files and AE camera
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 7:33:20 pm

Hi Lee,

What I think you're running into is that the .obj files might be coming in really small when you import them into 3D Invigorator. What you can try doing is to change the scale when you import them in. Instead of importing them in at 100%, you can try 400% or more.

Invigorator's camera automatically changes to fit the view to the object, so when your objects are really small, they are zoomed in automatically. However, when you switch to "Use Comp Camera", the objects "disappear" because they are too small to be seen.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lee GladstoneRe: .obj files and AE camera
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 8:14:37 pm

Edward - thanks for the help. You are right. The object is there, just amazingly small. In fact, importing the object at 500% made it appear, but only as a dot!

We have re-exported the model (exported as obj from Poser) using different settings, but the result is always the same. Also, by importing the image at 500%, the time it takes the computer to render the frame is drastically increased, and the image is still too small.

To import the object at a usable size would seem to involve importing it at around 5000%. This seems problematic at best.

You had mentioned that the invigorator "camera" will adjust so that an imported object will fit its screen, but when I import the obj file at more than 100%, the invigorator window doesn't adjust. The window gets filled up as if the camera was right up against the object.

What else can I try? Also, we are saving using the UV setting, but we are not getting any colors.

Thanks again and I anxiously await your reply!

Regards,
Lee

Return to posts index

Edward WuRe: .obj files and AE camera
by on Jul 18, 2009 at 12:25:43 am

Hi Lee,

If you have high quality lighting or motion blur applied to those objects, then it's possible that it will drastically increase the rendering time. Depending on the way you set up your project, you may not need to import the object at 5000%. Rather than increasing the object size way up, you can choose to zoom in more with the After Effects camera, then you wouldn't need to worry about scaling up the size of your objects.

Right, the camera automatically fits on a certain scale, but I suppose if the object is too big, it no longer fits with the camera settings.

As for UV settings, when you import an object into our program, it remembers the UV coordinates, but doesn't import the textures. So, you will have to apply the textures onto a texture map, and apply them onto your objects.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lee GladstoneRe: .obj files and AE camera
by on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:47:48 pm

thanks again for your help --I'm working on it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]