ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Invigorator Object Animating

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Rotter
Invigorator Object Animating
on Jul 15, 2009 at 4:04:42 am

I'm trying to animate an object in Invigorator. I've managed to set some keyframes on a set, but I want to adjust and change the keyframes and the only easy way for me to that is to adjust the object in the scene is to move it around in the effects invigorator window.

That still is making is very hard to adjust the location of the object which is in a set. How can I make it easier on myself on keyframing the object ? I've also tried adjust the values which is causing me grief or just won't allow me to change. Also when I import a OBJ 3D Object there is no material setup, I can only apply one color to the entire mesh ?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: Invigorator Object Animating
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:10:03 pm

Hi Chris,

Aside from setting keyframes or moving the object around the Effect Controls panel, there are two other ways to animate your objects. The first is to use the Set command to "Track 3D Layer". By applying a Set to track a 3D Layer, you can keyframe either the 3D layer or Null object and you can try working like that. The other way to animate is to use Expressions.

When you import a 3D object, make sure that the 3D object has been created to import with multiple pieces. If the object was exported as one piece it will import the same way, meaning you will only be able to apply one material to the entire object.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 16, 2009 at 6:02:59 am

I've followed the manual step by step for creating a 3D tracking plane, but no matter what I do the controller object is off and there not "stuck" together. I don't know what is going wrong.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 17, 2009 at 6:46:55 pm

Hi Chris,

When using the 3D tracking, make sure that the 3D Invigorator object is positioned in the center. Then, when you move the Null Object or 3D plane around, your 3D Invigorator object should move along with the controller.

To position your 3D Invigorator objects to the center, you can enter Object Mode, and use the "Move To Center" or "Reset" command.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:21:11 am

I did what you suggested, I recall even doing what you suggested. Either way it's not working my controller object moves but not the 3D mesh, I have another question how come my 3D mesh object is not standing up vertically it's aligned all off ?

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 21, 2009 at 12:12:20 am

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean based on your descriptions. Can you upload a screenshot? Or you can send your project to ed@zaxwerks.com and I'll take a look at what you're running into.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:16:57 am

Hello, Ed thank you for helping me out. After reading the manual and resetting the object, I can't get the controller object to control my 3D object in the scene. When I move the controller object after following the steps either the controller object just moves or the 3D object is offset from the controller object, even after resetting it as you suggested. Also when I import my 3D object it's not standing up vertically but rather laying down what axis does it need to be in for invigorator to load it standing up ?

I hope you can help me solve those two problems.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:35:48 pm

Hi Chris,

When you first set up the controller object, it can be just a small Solid, or a Null Object. Make sure that it is in the default (center) position, and make it a 3D layer. Then, create your object inside of 3D Invigorator. Use the "Reset" or "Move to Center" command to make sure that the object is in the center position as well.

Now, you should see that both the 3D Invigorator Object and the Controller Object are in the center position. Next, add a camera and set 3D Invigorator to "Use Comp Camera". When you start changing the position of the Controller, you will see the object move in the Effect Controls panel as well. However, it might not update on screen. If you click the "Update Lights" button, it will update the scene for you, and you will be able to see the changes.

I attached a screen shot below that shows the setup of the Controller Object and the 3D Invigorator Object. You'll see that both objects are positioned together.

In regards to the 3D Object you are importing. The model gets imported the same way the model got exported. So be sure that you have the camera set up to look from the default position from your 3D program that you are exporting out of. Then, you should be able to get the model to look the same as when you export it.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:37:15 pm

I've followed the steps you provided, as soon as I set the invigorator object 3D tracking layer it's center position is moved. As well within the invigorator window the invigorator object appears to animate but within the composition the invigorator object is off center from the controller object and this is even after I hit the update lights button.

I'm going to check the alignment of my 3D mesh to see what could be wrong.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:37:01 pm

Hi Chris,

I'll send you an example project. You'll be able to see the setup of what everything looks like.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 22, 2009 at 6:19:35 pm

Hello, Edward the project won't load as it was saved in CS4 and I'm on CS3.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 22, 2009 at 6:59:16 pm

Hi Chris,

I've sent you a new project in CS3.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 22, 2009 at 7:07:22 pm

Thanks, I have sent you a project file and some question regarding it. I have to try now on my actual project in hope it works.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 23, 2009 at 3:22:23 pm

When I made the resolution to "full" it didn't flicker anymore. The problem is I'm doing those exact steps for my project and it's not working at all, the controller object is not tracking the invigorator 3d object.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 27, 2009 at 3:06:31 am

Edward, I have sent you a scene file which you can take a look regarding why the controller object won't move my 3D mesh.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:08:09 pm

Hi Chris,

I've sent the project back to you. Like I mentioned on the e-mail, it's important that when you enable the "Use Comp Camera" option, you'll need to create a camera and set it up for your project. Your object is imported small, so you will need to scale it up to fit into the camera position.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 28, 2009 at 12:14:44 pm

I've done everything you've mentioned and still no success. I've written you a description of what I'm doing.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 28, 2009 at 8:12:27 pm

Hi Chris,

From the project you sent me, here are the steps you need to do get to the same point for the project I sent back to you:

1) Create a camera (you have "Use Comp Camera" set up, but don't have a camera in the scene).

2) Take the end keyframe for the Controller, and move it to a different position so you have an animation for the Controller (right now both keyframes are at the same position).

3) Go into the 3D Invigorator interface, select your object, and go to the Object tab. Click the Stats button, and change the scale from 1 to 100. Click the "OK" button to go back into the After Effects interface.

4) As you scrub through your time line, your 3D object will move along with the controller object.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 29, 2009 at 5:50:54 pm

It appears to have worked when I scaled it but there still lies two problems, one of them is the 3D mesh is too big now how do I get the scale I want must this be done before importing ? Or can it be done within invigorator as in I set another size ? The second problem I don't know if I'll have to surface, it will depend on my first problem :) !

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 29, 2009 at 7:35:41 pm

Hi Chris,

Right, the "100" scale value was just an arbitrary number I gave you so you can see your model properly. However, you can go back and adjust this value to a size that fits your project more.

I'm not sure what you mean by "surface". If you are referring to a texture map, you can do that by going into the Material Tab and setting up a material.

To add a texture map, click on the first dark gray box next to the "Highlight Sharpness", then load an image as your texture map. Now you can drag the material ball onto your object.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:37:34 am

Hello, Edward. I got it to work, finally. The only problem I've run into is when I adjust the controller object in the z-axis it's very hard to position it correctly, that could be because of my pivot but I'm not sure, maybe you can clear that up ?

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:37:56 am

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:21:40 pm

Hi Chris,

The Z-axis will look like it's not as easy to position correctly because it is moving front and back slowly. However, if you adjust the values more, you will be able to see the controller and the 3D object move.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:02:07 am

What values should I adjust more ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]