reflections and opacity

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucia Bastenhof
reflections and opacity
on Jun 9, 2009 at 4:09:20 am

Hi,

As you can see on this image :

I'm trying to obtain a reflection, especially on the outlines. I've tried different options, making one map for both outlines with a mirror effect insie (comp. size, or just the size of the numbers), with 2 different maps... but I haven't found yet the way to achieve it.
Would you have some advice ?

By the way, I want the reflected numbers to be half transparent (as a whole) and to disappear smoothly. I haven't found a way to make it inside my ProAnimator layer. Does it exist ?
At the moment, all the numbers are in the same ProAnimator effect, they are 2 layers coming from the same Illustrator file.
I guess I have to duplicate my layer, make one half invisible on both, in order to apply a different opacity and a linear wipe on the reflected numbers... ?
I have to go for now and can't try it just now, but if you have some advice about this issue, I'm very interested too.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
Re: reflections and opacity
on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:55:20 pm

Hi Lucia,

You're on the right track with the reflection. However, if you want the outline to be really visible, consider using an absolute color material on the bevel edges. The reason why the outlines look different is because the bevels react differently to the lighting since they are in different positions. If you apply absolute coloring, they will not be affected by the lighting, and will look consistent no matter their position.

To make the reflected numbers half transparent, go to the material applied, and adjust the Transparency setting to "50". To disappear smoothly, go to the Animation window, and select the "Visibility" button on the right hand side of the screen. The button looks like an "eyeball". Once you select the Visibility options, change the "Visible" option to "Fade Off", and you will get a fade animation applied to your pose.

You don't necessarily have to duplicate the layers if you are using the techniques above. However, if you are applying the Linear Wipe technique, then you will have to duplicate the layers.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:46:55 am

Hi Edward,
Thank you for the tip of using absolute color, I didn't think about it. Though, the issue isn't solved yet, and I can't understand why.
Here's what I did (and checked 10 times) :
1/ A composition whose height is exactly the height of 1 range of numbers. A photography inside (the anchor point unchanged).
2/ A duplicate of this composition, and a change of scale of the photo (100/-100) to reverse it.
3/ The 2 compositions are imported into the main composition, where is my layer with ProAnimator applied.
4/ Into the Layer Maps list, I give the information : Layer Map 4 = normal outlines comp. ; Layer Map 5 = reversed outlines comp.
5/ Into Pro Animator, I apply the right layer map at the right place.
And absolute Colors for both.

>>> what happens ?

That's not a mirror. What would I have forgot ???

Thanks for your help,

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:28:00 am

I changed the ai file, in order to see better.... and it seems I was obtaining 2 times the same layer map... That is changed and re-checked now, but I can't see the result, since the huge difference of luminosity. :

???
The 2 materials applied are both on 'Absolute colors'.

Any idea ???

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 10, 2009 at 6:22:42 pm

Hi Lucia,

It seems like you have the front face of the object is reflected correctly, so that's good. In regards to the side bevels looking differently, it's based on the way the materials are wrapped. The material is wrapped starting from the bottom left corner, and wrapping itself around the sides of the objects/bevels. You are using a complex texture map, so it might be harder to have the material wrap look like it's reflected perfectly. Both the object itself and the reflected object uses the same wrapping technique, the starting point for the textures will start at the bottom left.

You can try flipping the original texture map horizontally and apply that texture map on the sides, which will make the texture map look closer as a reflection, but to have it look perfect, you might have to do quite a bit of tweaking.

To have reflections set up easily, you can look into using our plug-in Reflector, which will allow you to choose a layer in After Effects, and have it act as a reflective surface. The reflection will give a perfect reflection of the object, and you can adjust the level of reflectivity for your surface.

In regards to your other post about the luminosity, if you rotated the 2009 so that it's no longer upside down, then you will be looking at the back side of the object. This will cause your 2 objects to look different even if they are using the same texture map.

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

Lucia Bastenhof
on Jun 10, 2009 at 6:46:06 pm

Hi Edward,

Thank you for these answers. You write :
Both the object itself and the reflected object uses the same wrapping technique, the starting point for the textures will start at the bottom left.

that's right, and you give me the idea to use an invisible item, an invisible "2" for instance, at the beginning of the reflection, in order to have the same starting point for both....

You write :
In regards to your other post about the luminosity, if you rotated the 2009 so that it's no longer upside down, then you will be looking at the back side of the object.

I didn't rotate it : I just changed the Illustrator file. (keeping the right layers'names). I still don't understand how it brings such a result, one very dark, and the other highly highlighted... :-/

Return to posts index

Edward Wu
on Jun 11, 2009 at 8:23:55 pm

Hi Lucia,

What I'm thinking is that it might be possible that you have both of the "2009" grouped together. If that's the case then the same texture map would be applied onto both of the words, which means that one of the words could be dark while the other is light, depending on how the texture map looks.

If the two objects are not grouped, check to see if you applied a reflectivity map to texture map. If a reflectivity map has been applied, the objects could look quite different depending on what position they are in, due to the reflection.

If you are still having an issue with this, you can send your project to me at: ed@zaxwerks.com

Best,
Edward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]