ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Making page widths same in 3D animated book sequence

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alain PatryMaking page widths same in 3D animated book sequence
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 10:33:45 pm

Hi, I created an animation that shows a book opening in 3D space. Done in 3D Invigorator Pro, using imported artwork from Illustrator. Here's the weird thing...the pages I created in Illustrator are the exact same width. In Invigorator they are also the same width when the book is closed and they are stacked.

But for some reason I dont understand, when the book is fully opened, the right page is significantly NARROWER than the left! Does this mean I have to create pages of different width in Illustrator???

There must be something I dont understand...can anyone please help?

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Making page widths same in 3D animated book sequence
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 2:46:27 am

Hi Alain,

Assuming the page profiles are identical in Illustrator, they should remain identical in your book. One possibility: If you're using a really wide angle lens in Invigorator, this could make the page that's farther from the camera appear to be narrower than the one closer to it.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alain PatryRe: Making page widths same in 3D animated book sequence
by on Feb 27, 2009 at 2:57:14 am

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked and the lens I am using is "Normal(50mm)". In addition to that, I have not yet animated the camera or lights. Its frustrating because I'm a newbie and it took me quite a while to get the animation to look exactly how I want it...only to realize now that, hey, my page becomes narrower when the book is open! Any chance you could look at the file for me?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2009 at 1:44:18 pm

Sure.

Send it to jokerstrom1 (at) mac.com

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 1:17:57 am

Does anyone have CS4 and would be willing to open my file to see what is happening? I've tried for days to figure out why the right side of the book is sliding under the left side and cant figure it out. This is what makes the end state look like the right side is narrower. :-(

Any assistance from the Invigorator gurus would be tremendously appreciated!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 2:46:07 am

Hi Alain,

Your last post may hold the key to the problem... and the solution. When objects collide in Invigorator, they don't deflect, they occupy the same space and essentially overlap.

Without having CS4 (yet), it would seem that you need to do some work with the pivot points of your sets to minimize the unintended consequences of having pages intersect when they move. The simplest way is to assign a small cube to an empty set. This cube becomes the pivot point for the set. Now, add the page to the set and position it so the cube is essentially the point where the page attaches to the binding. At this point, you can turn off visibility of the cube or remove it. The pivot point is set. Doing this for each of your pages gives you very precise control over how they move.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 3:51:52 pm

Hi Jon...

Well, I have already played with the pivot point alot and am not able to resolve the problem. I already had a sphere set up as pivot point and the 2 book covers and 2 pages (+ 2 fillers) all assigned to be slightly "cutting" inside the sphere pivot point. This pivot point was assigned to set 1 so I was using set 1 to animate the book (with set 2 assigned using expressions to set 1). I do agree with you that it must have something to do with it all because when I move it alternates my animation dramatically. I just cant get it to sit right, maintain the animation I've set up, and have both pages fall side by side. One side always slides under.. not to mention when the book opens there's a huge gap between the covers if I play around with the pivot point...

Im just about pulling my hair out! When are you guessing you'll get CS4?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 7:00:17 pm

Another good clue, Alain.

Try assigning the elements to separate pivot points, offset slightly. That's how a real book would work - each page has its own natural location on the binding. They all pivot on slightly different hinges.

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 7:55:35 pm

Well, it originally worked with a single pivot point, with the left side of the book animating to set 1, and set 2 being the right side of the book, animating thru expressions that were tied to set 1.

I tried making 2 distinct pivot points now...1 for all left side items and 1 for all right side items...but nothing seems to be moving realistically together.... I thought the idea of a single pivot made sense (like a spiral bound book, especially using a sphere).

Anyway, I've decided now to remove the expressions in set 2 and animate every thing frame by frame, tweaking both sets 1 and 2 as I go but I find that this is very time consuming and Im worried it will create a huge file, not to mention how the movement may not be completely realistic (because the expressions are removed).

Return to posts index

by on Mar 11, 2009 at 1:10:04 pm

Hi Jon,
Can you please let me know when you receive AE CS4? I've tried and tried and just cant make it work properly... :-(((

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]