ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

"Linking" primitives

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Leonhardt
"Linking" primitives
on Nov 30, 2008 at 7:16:04 pm

I need to animate a supplement display box opening. The idea is that the top of the box will fold in half to make a "half height" display at the back of the box.
Imagine a bi-fold door on its side. The bi-fold door is hinged at the middle. How can I replicate a hinge between to planes in ProAnimator? Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: "Linking" primitives
on Nov 30, 2008 at 11:30:14 pm

Hi Jeff,

ProAnimator does a lot of things well, but it really isn't the best choice for this specific kind of animation. Do you have any other software options?

Jon

Return to posts index

Jeff Leonhardt
on Nov 30, 2008 at 11:47:06 pm

Not really. Is there something you would recommend?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Dec 1, 2008 at 3:15:34 am

Hi Jeff,

This kind of project pretty much screams for a 3D application that can do parenting. In your case, the end of the flap would be parented to the other half, which would be parented to the box. You would be able to determine where the "hinges" are on each object and animate all of the angles, so the end folds toward the other half of the top as they both move to their final position.

Many 3D apps do this - some like Lightwave, Maya, Cinema 4D, etc. cost a fair amount of money. You can animate the "bones" of the objects and even use inverse kinematics. You might also be able to do it with Blender or other free 3D apps. As I said, ProAnimator does some amazing things - but it's not the best choice for this kind of animation.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jeff Leonhardt
on Dec 1, 2008 at 3:18:59 am

Thanks Jon! That points me in the right direction!

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]