ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Photoshopped logo to illustrator file

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Williams
Photoshopped logo to illustrator file
on Nov 14, 2008 at 11:58:35 pm

I have a logo that was created in photoshop that I need to NOW make an illustrator file. The reason - I'm trying to use Zaxwerks to make the logo 3D, but it REALLY doesn't want to work with me on this, which I understand. So I am turning to the COW for help.

I have taken it into Illustrator and done the live tracing on the different PSD layers. That's about where I'm at.

Is there a better way to do this?

Of course, without question I'm a newb in Illustrator and also in Zaxwerks, as well. Please take some pity on me and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

-Jay

Return to posts index

scott novasic
Re: Photoshopped logo to illustrator file
on Nov 15, 2008 at 12:41:51 am

trying to autotrace a logo in illustrator tends to be a pretty in-accurate way of doing what you need. You can also 'auto trace' things in photoshop and export those paths to illustrator, but that too tends to have some problems. Your not going to like my advice, but its what I choose to do and have done hundreds of times in my career. You should hand trace the elements on your own. Photoshop lets you do that, but illustrator is better equipped imho. The effort you put in on the 'front end' of a project tends to ripple quality wise throughout the project in my opinion. Or, in other words the tired old phrase "garbage IN, garbage OUT"
Good luck and start drawing.... :)

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Brandt Krueger
Re: Photoshopped logo to illustrator file
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:48:44 pm

Amen, Scott. It's gotten to the point where I rebuild almost every non-vector logo that comes my way, even before knowing exactly how I'm going to use it.

Anyone else out there noticing the disturbing trend in bitmaps wrapped in EPS wrappers? It used to be you could ask for things in "AI or EPS" and be pretty much guaranteed to get vector, now you have to explain the differences between vector and bitmap to those who generally don't have time to care and shouldn't have to...

Anyway, Scott's right. Work on the front end yields A)Better quality in the end, and B) More OPTIONS with which to explore in both your NLE or programs like Motion, Keynote, AE, and... ProAnimator!

-Brandt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]