ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

PA- any way to slow in the middle of a transition?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandt Krueger
PA- any way to slow in the middle of a transition?
on Sep 30, 2008 at 10:34:11 pm

Still pretty new to PA here, and hopefully we'll have the kinks worked out soon. Meantime, how about a "how to" question?

Is there any way to slow down the middle of a transition? Using easing one can slow down the beginning or the end of one, but what about the middle? Or maybe I'm missing something really stupid...

Thanks,
Brandt

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: PA- any way to slow in the middle of a transition?
on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:11:50 am

Hi Brandt,

PA hides the math from us, but we can use logic to try to answer this question:

One factor you have to consider is that the object must get from pose A to pose B in the transition time you determine. As you've suggested, using the ease function affects the starting and stopping motion, but doing a lot of easing (slowing the motion on the ends) will by necessity speed up what happens in the middle of the transition.

One solution - spread out the poses to allow the move to take more time overall.

Another solution - shorten the length of the path between the poses. This will slow down the motion.

Another solution - reduce the easing in and out of the poses. Doing this may have some effect, depending on how much easing you're doing.

All of this theory makes sense to me - how about you?

Jon

Return to posts index

Brandt Krueger
Re: PA- any way to slow in the middle of a transition?
on Oct 8, 2008 at 2:08:20 pm

Hi Jon (and anyone else that might have some ideas!)

I think you're logic is correct as far as slowing down the entire clip, but I think what I'm really looking for is "negative easing". Start fast, slow down, end fast. The easing actually will take a negative number, but it doesn't seem to work- no matter what the time sliders are set at you get a big jump, then steady speed, then big jump (with no ramping).

Basically what I have is an 3D object with a LOT of parts. A variation of the barrage animation looks awesome, but the client wants each part of the object to zoom into frame, hang for a second or so, then zoom into position. I'm hoping to figure out a way to take advantage of the cascade abilities of PAFx to avoid making a bagillion individual movies...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]