ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Am I going to fast through Serge's training?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
Am I going to fast through Serge's training?
on Aug 28, 2008 at 1:32:49 am

I took yet another look at Serge's excellent Invigorator training DVD and was look specifically on lighting an object. I have ProAnimator and I wanted to light my object with After Effects lights. He says in lesson 1 that he would explain how to do a work around for casting shadows with AE lights, but I don't see where he continues on with that. Is it a small part in another lesson that I'm glossing over or is this for a soon to become Invigorator Training 2 DVD?

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
Re: Am I going to fast through Serge's training?
on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:43:18 am

Hi Ken,

Sorry, the workarounds are not on the DVD.

[Ken Latman] "He says in lesson 1 that he would explain how to do a work around for casting shadows with AE lights,"

What I actually said was that you won't be able to cast shadows with AE lights.

The workarounds were not meant on casting shadows on Invigorator objects using the AE lights as you seam to have understood.

Most of the time Invigorator/PA users use AE lights because they are compositing AE 3D layers and want their Invigorator/PA 3D objects to cast shadows on these layers.

Here are some tips:

If you want your PA objects to cast shadows on each other you must use the PA lights.

If you want your PA objects to cast shadows on AE layers, you could map these layers to 3D planes inside of PA, arrange the planes as you want and use the Absolute Color mode for instance (As I already explained in the DVD) to avoid highlights etc… Again, you need to use the PA lights.

Depending on your animation you could use the AE lights to have PA objects cast shadows on AE 3D layers. For this you need to switch the PA layer to 3D. Again depending on your animation you might need to switch your PA 3D layer Auto- Orientation to Orient Towards Camera or use a couple of expressions.

Although this last workaround will allow you to use the AE lights to cast shadows from PA objects on AE 3D layers, your PA objects won’t cast shadows on each other!
But, if you use the PA lights for your objects to cast shadows on each other, render your PA layer only, import the movie into AE and use it instead of the original PA layer, you may have better chances to make it look real.

I hope this helps.

Salut.
Serge

PS: There are more possibilities of course, it's just a question of thinking out of the box. Let me know what you are exactly after ;-)

Invigorator/Proanimator Training Review:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/murphy_kurt/invigorator_tr_rev.php

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Aug 28, 2008 at 10:17:18 am

Thanks for the update Serge. I have somewhat of a quandry with my set up. I have one 3D object that I built in ProAnimator. I used the edge setting of bulb to get some nice light bulbs for my 3D sign I created. To get these to glow and cast light on some of the other elements, I had to duplicate the AE layer and change the instance of the 3D sign I made. So one AE layer has the back part o the sign visible while all the others are off, layer on top of that has a instance where only the housing for the lights that sits above the sign plan is visible, and the layer on top of that, the bulbs are only visible. I used Trapcode glow to make this AE layer glow. Will using the ProAnimator lights still cast shadows correctly in this mode even though some elemnents are not visible?

I think I see your point, with my AE lights being used, the shadows look really flat as they cast. I guess I'm only castin the sadow of the plane of the layer, not the shodw of the 3D object with all it's nuances?

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:53:57 pm

[Ken Latman] "Will using the ProAnimator lights still cast shadows correctly in this mode even though some elemnents are not visible?"

No. Only visible objects can cast shadows.

[Ken Latman] "I guess I'm only castin the sadow of the plane of the layer, not the shodw of the 3D object with all it's nuances?"

You are guessing right.

I would keep the bulb-housing and the sign plane together as they are the two elements that are supposed to cast shadows on each other and use the PA lights.

Send me your AE project (Animated if possible)at: serge(at)nyc-visual(dot)com

Salut.
Serge

Invigorator/Proanimator Training Review:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/murphy_kurt/invigorator_tr_rev.php

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]