ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Silva3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 3:47:29 am

I installed the demo version today at work to pitch it to my boss and well... it didn't go so well.

I get a pop-up window everytime the plugin needs to refresh or preview. The window's title is "3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer." This window last for about 2 seconds everytime. So if I want to do a ram preview, everyframe pops up with a 2 second window.

So my guess is a problem between my opengl video card, AE, and Invigorator. But I can't find it. I've tried upgrading the video card's drivers, deleting Invigorator's Pref's (not AE's prefs though). I also have AE's pref's set to OpenGl.(also have tried other settings)

Specs:
dell precision 470, 2gb ram, single 3.4 xeon, nvideo quadro fx1400
AE 7.0

any help would be great.

Thanks,
-Tony

Return to posts index

Serge HamadRe: 3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 4:24:50 am

Hi,

You should consider using the Invigorator renderer instead of the OpenGl render option.

You can switch between the two in the Set-Up window. First make sure you are in the Camera Mode by clicking on the camera icon then right under the manipulation tools you will find a menu that says "High Quality OpenGl" Just click on the second option.

Salut,
Serge

Invigorator/Proanimator Training Review:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/murphy_kurt/invigorator_tr_rev.php

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

Matt RhodesRe: 3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:24:39 pm

Hi Tony.

Serge is correct. It sounds like your renderer is set to use the "High Quality OpenGL" render -- rather than the Invigorator (software) Renderer. But there may be another solution as well (see below).

By default, AE layers are set to Best Quality mode. This means that the Invigorator will render its scene using whichever renderer is selected in the Invigorator Set-Up window.

I'd suggest checking two things.
First, make sure you're trying to render OpenGL off-screen.
1. Open the Options/Set-Up window.
2. Click on the Object icon below the 3D preview.
3. Click on the "User Prefs" button below the 3D preview.
4. When the User Preferences dialog opens, make sure that "Hide GL Render Windows (if possible)" is selected.
5. Close the Prefs dialog and the Set-Up window.

If that doesn't solve your problem (or if you want to use the Invigorator renderer), do the following:
1. Open the Options/Set-Up window.
2. Click on the Camera icon below the 3D preview.
3. Find the Renderer menu below the 3D preview -- it will say either "Hi-Quality OpenGL" or "Invigorator Renderer."
4. Make sure "Invigorator Renderer" is selected.
5. Close the Set-Up window.

Let us know if you still have questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Tony SilvaRe: 3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 3:49:37 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

I further messed with the settings like suggested.
When I switch to the Invigorator Renderer, the OpenGL window obviously goes away, but the render times seem slower.

I'm assuming the the "Hide GL Render Windows" button works on other machines? it's just (Not Possible) on my machine for some reason?

Return to posts index

Serge HamadRe: 3D Invigorator OpenGL Render Buffer
by on Jul 2, 2008 at 5:33:00 pm

[Tony Silva] "When I switch to the Invigorator Renderer, the OpenGL window obviously goes away, but the render times seem slower."

Yes. Your renders should slow down indeed.

Here is what I would do:

-Map all objects having the Invigorator layer set to best mode so you can check your textures etc...

-If you want lights to cast shadows, do that too in best mode but make sure when you are satisfied with your lighting that you temporarily disable all shadows as they will slow you down.

-Once you are satisfied with the look and want to animate your objects just switch the Invigorator layer to draft quality. This last step will enable you to animate and preview quite quickly your scenes.

When you are ready to render, switch the Invigorator layer to best quality and enable your shadows (If any). You could use OpenGl if you want for the final render but be aware that OpenGl doesn't support modes like transparency or bump mapping.

Salut,
Serge

PS: The Hide GL Render Windows" button never worked for me either. I think Zax has a list of compatible cards on his site.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/murphy_kurt/invigorator_tr_rev.php

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]