ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Poor texture mapping with fabrics

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Anderson
Poor texture mapping with fabrics
on May 29, 2008 at 6:38:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with texturing fabrics. They look pretty good in the work window, but when I render, they look nothing like they should, but rather a series of large boxes with each box having a series of streaks. So a textured panel, for instance, looks normal in the work window, but very distorted in the render. I've played with the 3x3, 4x4, etc. filters, but nothing. I'd upload some samples if I knew how.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Poor texture mapping with fabrics
on May 30, 2008 at 12:36:11 am

Dave,

Make sure the aspect ratio of the texture you're trying to apply to the face of an object matches the aspect ratio of the face of the object. Otherwise, you'll get distortion.

Jon

Return to posts index

Dave Anderson
on May 30, 2008 at 12:45:50 am

Hi Jon,

I've tried with no luck. The panels I'm mapping to are square and rectangular (vertical). With the same texture applied to both, the square looks really good, but the vertical panel looks really stretched vertically. So I created another texture that's vertical and applied that, but it still looks the same way!? Can't figure it out.

Is there any rules for size approximations with the texture of a fabric as applied to the model? In other words, how do I know that the texture of the fabric is to scale when it's applied? Does it generally stretch to fit the area, or does it tile?

I'm a newbie at this and there's not a whole lot out there. I got Serge's DVD which was good, but there's still a lot to know.

Thanks

Dave

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on May 30, 2008 at 12:49:56 am

I suspect the issue is that you need a little mapping 1-0-1 help.

Let's take the example of a cube with equal height and width.

The texture for the front face and the rear face needs to be 1:1 aspect ratio because height and width are equal.

The texture for the sides needs to be 1:4 because Invigorator wraps the side texture around the whole object, starting in the lowest, leftest corner. By the way, by 1:4 I mean one unit high by 4 units wide.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Dave Anderson
on May 30, 2008 at 1:03:57 am

Okay, it's starting to make sense. I created a new texture that is 4:1 (tall) and tried that. Much better, but still stretched vertically. So I went to 8:1 and applied. The surface went pure white. Not sure what that's about as I can see the texture in my pallet. I went down to 6:1 and it looks even better but still stretched vertically.

Is there some threshold with texture file size, or pixel dimension that would cause the surface to show white? I guess I'll keep playing around to see where the sweet spot is.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on May 31, 2008 at 1:15:28 am

Hi Dave,

Lesson two of the DVD named "How Invigorator maps objects"
TC: (01:49:27:26)should explain everything you need to know to map an object.

Especially the trick with the checkerboard effect.

If you still have issues just send me your AEP and one of the offending textures to (serge at nyc-visual dot com)

Salut.
Serge

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Review:http://library.creativecow.net/articles/murphy_kurt/invigorator_tr_rev.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]