ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Mixing the 3d worlds

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April Henderson
Mixing the 3d worlds
on Mar 18, 2008 at 7:54:15 am

I know when we use the "comp camera", we are able to retain the 3d quality of the imported objects or settings. However, how can we give the objects and actual space and location in the After Effects 3d environment? Can we make these two 3d worlds a part of one 3d space? I guess it is confusing to explain. You know what I mean?

thanks..

April

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Mixing the 3d worlds
on Mar 18, 2008 at 1:34:56 pm

Hi April,

You are correct in your explanation - think of AE and Invigorator or ProAnimator as parallel universes. They are not the same 3D space.

Depending on what's happening in your project, you can fake it to a degree. The option you choose depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For example, you could take a rendered movie of your ProAnim/Invigorator objects, make that a 3d layer and place it in the AE 3D world. So long as it always stays correctly oriented to the camera in distance and angle, the illusion could work.

Another option - you could map what's going on in AE to planes to move the AE stuff into the Invig/PA universe.

There are more - exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Jon

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 18, 2008 at 3:59:52 pm

Well...basically I just want to be able to make some finite corresponding points in each 3d universe. I don't see why Invigorator doesn't allow or recognize AE 3d layers, when the "Comp Camera" has been selected. When I try to do so, things get all messed up. I imported a cool 3d landscape...and flew the camera through it then up on hte top of some giant pillar I was imagining maybe a greenscreen subject standing there. But it seems impossible to me. Invigorator seems too limited if you can't truely mix the 3d worlds well enough.

How does one "map what's going on in the AE Planes to move it into the AE universe?" I am curious and thanks a lot for your help. I think I'd better take a look at Serge's tutorials.

thanks again,

April

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 18, 2008 at 5:03:12 pm

Hi April,

As Jon already mentioned I would create a plane inside of Invigorator, place it on top of one of the giant pillars and texture map the plane with the green screen footage using the absolute color feature.

Salut,
Serge

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 18, 2008 at 6:09:50 pm

Gee....I don't think I'd know how to do that. I don't suppose there is some similar tutorial on that kind of thing....

thanks your help,

April

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 18, 2008 at 11:15:25 pm

Hi,

-Go to the Set-Up window then click on Object>Create 3D Primitive.

-Invigorator creates a sphere by default, Click on the Object tab change the sphere to a plane in the menu that says "Sphere" (right under the Stats menu).

-Now alter the width and height of your plane to make it match the size of your green screen clip.

-Select your plane and place it on top of your column. (Use the manipulation tools for this).

-Map your plane with your clip & check the "Absolute Color" option to avoid highlights and such.

Does this help?

Salut,
Serge

Invigorator/Proanimator Training: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/invig_training.php

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 18, 2008 at 11:50:11 pm

Not really actually. I can make a plane which matches my video resolution (1440x1080)? Is that right?

And I could put this on top of a pillar.

But how do I "map the plane with my clip?" Does that somehow tell AFX to use the same coordinates?

Are we using the Comp Camera for this project? I find if I use the comp camera then I can't make an other AFX 3d layer go to any position on my invigorator object.

Sorry....hope i am not bothering you too much.

thanks...

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 19, 2008 at 12:26:53 am

Ok, it seams that you are very new to Invigorator so I here is
another step by step:

1-Drop your green screen footage on the comp icon and work on your key.

2-Drop this comp into the main comp where Invigorator resides.

3-In the Invigorator Scene Preview Window (Effect Window)twirl down the "Layer Maps" menu and assign your clip comp as the layer map.

4-Go to the Set-UP window, select your plane, load your texture map in the Material Editor using the tinny menu left to the material swatch. It should say "Layer Map 1)

5-Now simply drag and drop the material swatch on your object & check the Absolute Color feature instead of the standard Color. (It's right under the Material Swatch)

6-Run and get yourself the training DVD. LOL!

Let us know if you get stuck.

Salut,
Serge

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 19, 2008 at 2:27:30 am

All right that is cool. It seems like we are getting somewhere. I didn't realize that layers could be added into the invigorator world. I knew I could put a picture over a primitive. But not an actual layer.

I've got an image of a person on a plane now. Is there anyway to make the plane disappear now?

thanks...a million!!!

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 19, 2008 at 3:16:42 am

1-Duplicate your clip comp in the project window, open the comp and apply the fill effect to the clip so you get a white silhouette.

2-Proceed as I already explained to assign this new layer map to your plane, just that you should use it this time as a transparency map. Do not alter the transparency value, just leave it at zero.

Salut,
Serge

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:53:00 am

Brilliant! I figured out! It seemed totally illogical to me at first. But then I saw the option to make a transparency map below. Invigorator Pro is a lot better than I thought.
I'll definitely have to pick up your DVD Serge. Is it available through download as well?

thanks!!

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Mar 19, 2008 at 11:40:34 am

[April Henderson] "Invigorator Pro is a lot better than I thought."

Here we go! Another addict;-)

[April Henderson] "I'll definitely have to pick up your DVD Serge. Is it available through download as well?"

Sorry, the DVD can't be downloaded.

Have fun with Invigorator!

Salut,
Serge

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:53:53 am

Great thread! I've been wondering about the two 3D worlds myself for quite some time.

Return to posts index

April Henderson
on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:24:41 pm

it looks like the best one can do is to make the invigorator layer a 3d layer and not to use the comp camera. This way it becomes a point in the AE 3d Universe even though it is suddenly turned into a 2 dimensional object.

Sure hope they over come this limitation soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]