ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

reflector demo and AE7

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Triplettreflector demo and AE7
by on Jan 29, 2008 at 6:41:05 pm

I have the basics I want to use. One of them being a floor layer. My camera rotates fine and in sinc with the other invigorator layers. When I apply the reflector demo to the floor layer it will reflect anywhere and everywhere on the layer. Not just on the floor. The floor shape doesn't take over the enire layer, only about a third. Is there a fix for this? I only want the reflection of the logo that is flying in to be on the floor as the camera/logo rolls.

Bill

Return to posts index

Matt RhodesRe: reflector demo and AE7
by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:17:43 pm

Hi Bill.

Make sure you've applied Reflector to the 3D floor layer - not the 2D Invig layer.

If you'd like, send me your project and I'll take a look.

Send files to: matt@zaxwerks.com

Thanks.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bill TriplettRe: reflector demo and AE7
by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:24:55 pm

Matt

The floor layer is the third Invigorator layer. The layer reflects the logo layer above it and I vampired the sky layer. The problem is that the reflection should be on the floor portion of the layer only but it will show the reflection anywhere on the layer as the camera rolls and turns. I'd like it to look something like this:

http://zaxwerks.com/movies/index.shtml select "user reels" and it is the "Tyler's Home Theatre" portion of the movie.

Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:28:10 pm

Hi Bill.

I see. The Invig 3D Floors cannot handle reflections. Reflector can only be applied to 3D AE Layers. It's an effect for After Effects, not the Invig.

Can you make your Invig floor an AE 3D layer instead?

Let us know if you have more questions.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:34:11 pm

Matt

It is already a 3D Invigorator layer. I guess the question is how do I limit the area of the layer where it reflects. It doesn't reflect on the "shape/floor" that is on the layer, it is reflecting on the entire layer. Did I say that clearly?

Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:38:23 pm

Hi Bill.

The floor cannot be an Invig layer. You'll have to recreate your floor as a 3D AE layer.

Do you understand the difference? They'll both look 3D in After Effects, but only the 3D AE layer can receive the Reflector effect properly.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:45:24 pm

That is what I did initially. Two problems. First, the entire layer reflects in the same manner. Second, I couldn't get the same camera flow as in the other two Invigorator layers. Were you able to look at the movie link?

Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 8:48:01 pm

On Jan 25th I was told by tech support that the movie looked like it was all done in Invigorator.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 9:04:28 pm

Hi Bill.

He didn't do the effect with Reflector. He probably faked it in the Invigorator by having a second set of objects below a transparent floor. This is a good way to fake reflections.

This is one of the problems that Reflector tries to solve.

Feel free to send me your file if you'd like for me to make some suggestions.

Thanks.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 9:07:32 pm

So he duplicated the Invigorator floor layer and flipped the logo then adjusted the camera for the flipped logo? Will the material adjustments give me that shine on the floor?

Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 11:49:37 pm

Hi Bill.

I'm not sure how the shine was done -- but it's likely a combination of the specular value of the material and a subtle reflection map.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]