ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

cant import ai file

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
cant import ai file
on Jan 3, 2008 at 12:50:27 am

Hi all,

I just got proanimator a couple days ago.

It's going pretty well except for when i went to import a file from illustrator.

Here's what i did; I created a layered image in photoshop.

I imported my 2 layer .psd to illustrator and saved that out as an .ai file with compression.

I went to import into proanimator but it said that it could not import because there were no vector based images.

So how do i go about creating my .psd, importing into ai then making be acceptable for proanimator.

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: cant import ai file
on Jan 3, 2008 at 1:35:01 am

Hi Sam,

ProAnimator needs vector-based artwork in Illustrator format. Putting a bit-mapped Photoshop image into an Illustrator document and saving it as an Illustrator document won't do this.

If you have a bit-mapped image, you need to trace it in Illustrator to create a vector-based version. Generally, it's cleaner to do it manually than to use Illustrator's autotrace function.

You can certainly apply the bit-mapped image to the 3D shape you create.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Jan 3, 2008 at 6:12:55 am

Hi Sam,

Jon's right, you have to trace the raster art to turn it into vectors. There are several movies on our web site which will help you to understand how to do this.

Go to this page: http://zaxwerks.com/training/index.shtml and watch the 2 movies on how to create vector artwork in Photoshop.

I'd recommend you watch them all but these two address the exact situation you're facing.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on Jan 3, 2008 at 4:08:48 pm

Thanks for the link it was a great help

2 questions for you

1. Are there any more tutorials on your site? If so, where?

2. Is it worth buying the training DVD you advertise on your site even though I don't use After Effects?

Thanks again

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]