ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

animating depth scale

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan LaCloche
animating depth scale
on Dec 31, 2007 at 2:43:35 pm

How can I get the depth scale to animate just the front of the object? Right now, when I increase the depth, it increases from the center of the object, so the front and back grow.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: animating depth scale
on Jan 1, 2008 at 2:05:34 am

Hi Dan,

I think the best you can do is animate the camera to make it seem like the back remains in the same place and making it seem like the object is growing forward... or mask the object so you can't see the growth in the rear.

Does this make sense?

Jon

Return to posts index

Dan LaCloche
on Jan 1, 2008 at 3:59:07 pm

What I want to happen is a 3D logo grows out of a 2D business card. I thought there might be a way to move an object's anchor point in Invig, like I do in AE.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 1, 2008 at 7:17:27 pm

Hi Dan,

Anchor points relate to sets rather than objects in Invigorator. Being able to animate positive or negative Z depth without affecting the other isn't in the current feature set.

My best advice would be to let the logo animate as it does and remove the part behind the card. Your best bet might be to render the movie first then create an animated mask to hide the part you don't want to see.

Jon

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Jan 2, 2008 at 2:42:26 am

You're right, Jon, Depth Scale *is* an attribute of a Set. And since it is we can do tricks with them. Depth Scale happens from the center of the Set. The center of the Set is positioned when the objects are first placed into the Set, which means the center of a Set ends up at the center of the objects.

To make the objects scale from the back do the following...

- Go into the Set Up window (click the Red Ball)
- Turn on Object Mode (click the Cube button)
- Turn on Drag Using Object's Axis
- Select only the objects you want to scale from the back.
- Select the Dolly Tool
- Click the up/down arrow keys to nudge the objects forward until their backs are on the origin of the Z axis.

Since the center of the set was at the origin, the objects will now scale forward when you animate the Depth Scale control.

You may have to use the *Set* Z Position control to move the whole set backwards a little bit to compensate for how much you just moved it forward. Be sure this is done with the Set controls found in the Effects Controls window (or the timeline). Do not do it in the SetUp window, or you'll be undoing the adjustment you just did.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 2, 2008 at 3:44:31 am

Hi Zax,

Happy New Year!

Well, I was half right. The other half, which you provided, makes perfect sense now that you've spelled it out like that. And it would be a lot easier than my work around.

To take it a step beyond what you've said, if you tilted the objects in the set in relation to the set's anchor point and Z axis, then animated the depth, what would happen? Off-axis growth of the object? It could be kind of cool if it works.

I'll have to give that a try.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 2, 2008 at 4:02:53 am

Okay...

I proved my theory correct. I moved the object forward so the rear face was at 0, 0, 0 then rotated the object and used the animate Z depth to cause the effect below. It kind of looks like a fish-eye lens effect but it's not. Pretty sweet.

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 2, 2008 at 4:31:32 am

This high view shows what's happening. Instead of the depth happening at 90 degrees from the front face, it happens in an off-axis way. Of course, the lens choice can add to the apparent distortion.

Jon

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Jan 2, 2008 at 4:32:06 am

You are correct, Jon!

You can tilt objects to any angle (inside the SetUp window) and the Depth Scale (in the Effects Controls) will then skew them.

This technique can be used to animate the height of objects rather than their depth, or the width too. Just tilt the objects so the direction you want to scale is aligned with the Z axis of the Set and viola!

Happy New Year!
-Zax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]