ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

using a photo as a swatch

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ladorn45
using a photo as a swatch
on Nov 15, 2007 at 4:48:10 am

I made a 3d spray paint can using 3d invigorator and i would like to take a photo and have it rap around the can. I dragged the photo into a new swatch but when i add it to the 3d model the photo is all enlarged and distorted. Is there an easier way or the the right way to do it. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: using a photo as a swatch
on Nov 15, 2007 at 5:06:54 am

Hi ladorn45,

The answer lies in the aspect ratio (height and width) of the can and the image. If they're the same, you get no distortion. If they're different, the image will be stretched to fit the can and you get distortion.

you should be able to approximate the right aspect ratio.. if you want to get really precise, you can measure height and circumference.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

MindDesigns
on Nov 15, 2007 at 6:58:00 pm

Hey ladorn45,
The answer to your question is yes, "you can control where the mapping happens". It's a fairly easy process once you know how the mapping occurs (Invigorator objecst have a little box in the palettes view window [you know the dialog box that shows the edges you have applied and the swatches on an object] . The box shows the starting point of the wrap around. If you're using the pro version and are using the cylinder you won't see the edges dialog as mentioned.

Either way here's the process.
Create a comp (called Comp B from here on out) the size of the comp that the spray can is in.
Next, place the label (can image) into this Comp B and add this comp to the original comp.
Use Comp B as the layer map for your spray can.
Now you can size the label to fit the can.
(Tim's suggestion:
Move the anchor point on the label graphic to the left bottom-most corner. Position the bottom of the label in Comp B where you want it to fall in the original comp [if you're using AE7 or CS3 you can open another view window lock the first view to the original comp and the second to Comp B. This will give you constant updates as you move the label around the screen in Comp B]
Once you have the bottom corner in position you can scale the label in Comp B to fit as you visualize it. [That's y we moved the anchor point on the label so it'll scale relative to that positon]
Hope this helps,
Tim

Return to posts index

ladorn45
on Nov 17, 2007 at 5:13:44 pm

Okay but by me doing that i will not be using the invigorators lighting since the image is not loaded into the invigorator swatches. Also i am not able to utilize the invigorators cameras. I would have to do the motion in spraycan comp using invigorators cameras and then in comp b use the tracking to follow the can. I this right or did i just misunderstand. The way i created the can was using the custom edges option so my can looks like a normal can with out the top because i wanted the nozzle to be in it. I also want to have the option of having the can move around with the label on it. Thank you for your help by the way i greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]