ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Map Text to Extruded Part of 3D Star

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lasvideoMap Text to Extruded Part of 3D Star
by on Nov 11, 2007 at 10:11:03 pm

Im trying to recreate a Macys Logo effect. It is a basic 3D star, that is exruded to about 50. The general object color is red , and assigned to the first object color square.I created a text layer and assigned it as a layer effect. I created an area (2) in the diagram that assign attributes to the star, and created a new object surface which has the text-layer effect assigned to the color attribute. I can see my text on the extruded part of the star, but it is stretched and distorted. How to I map text to a surface in Proanimator so it looks like it shoud?

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Map Text to Extruded Part of 3D Star
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 12:42:17 am

Hi lasvideo,

The key to mapping your text to the edge of the star is to realize that the image is being wrapped like a piece or ribbon around the star. To avoid distortion, your image (or in this case, your precomp with the text in it) needs to have the same aspect ratio as the edge to which you're mapping it. It's going to be a very short, wide precomp.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

lasvideoRe: Map Text to Extruded Part of 3D Star
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 2:01:39 am

Yes, thats exactly what I needed to know. It works well with this information. Thanks John. BTW, I enjoy and have benefited alot from your recent free and purchased tutorials!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2007 at 2:18:48 am

With the text correctly mapped...when I tumble the object to its resting place close to the camera, the text looks abit soft and aliased. Yet its dimensions allow it to be wrapped perfectly on the extruded surface. I check for preferences relating to quality and aliasing, but all I found was Object Faceting which was set for the best quality.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2007 at 2:20:18 am

I just found aliasing control under the camera prefs, but with no visible improvement.

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Map Text to Extruded Part of 3D Star
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 3:19:30 am

Hi lasvideo,

I suspect your precomp is not at a high enough resolution to give you crisp text close up. Try doubling the size of the precomp as well as the size of the text. So long as the aspect ratio remains the same, it'll work the same.

By the way - there are two Jons/Johns here... John Dickenson is the one offering tutorials for sale. We have both done free tutorials. I think you meant to thank him... regardless, we're both happy you're having success with Zaxwerks products.

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2007 at 3:49:18 am

That did the trick. My apologies for blending you and the other John together. But in fact I did enjoy doing your reflectivity tutorial. And I do appreciate your knowledgable help today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]