ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Help needed - Pro Animator layer mapping for proad/ daktronix signage

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
real_fun
Help needed - Pro Animator layer mapping for proad/ daktronix signage
on Sep 16, 2007 at 3:32:20 am

Hi everyone,

If you don't know what i'm talking about. Those led screens, You'll find them in arenas, they are the ring screens that go all around the bowl and around the main scoreboards.

I kinda manage to model them in Pro Animator but i'm not happy because something wrong with layer mapping.

Here my steps:
- made a circle outline in illustrator
- imported in Pro Animator
object settings:
edge scale 0
bevel: flat sides
depth: 52
I'm using the "depth" side on the ring as my video screen.
I believe is pretty much the same concept as "The Lord of the Cow Ring" tutorial

For textures, I got "front" and "back" silver color, outside is my layer map.
The problem now, is my layer map is displayed on both sides of the ring. I need it to be on the "outside" only. The "inside" of the ring should be the same as "front" and "back"

Is there a better way to make a ring?
If not, how can tweak the material / edges function to make this happen?

Thank you for reading this post

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Help needed - Pro Animator layer mapping for proad/ daktronix signage
on Sep 16, 2007 at 5:20:10 pm

Hi real,

In the material set-up area, uncheck the "use same material for hole edges. This will allow you to map different things to the inside and the outside surface of your object.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

real_fun
on Sep 17, 2007 at 4:46:31 am

I've tried to do that, but it still shows my "outside" texture instead of the desired texture.

; ;

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:23:43 am

Feel free to send me the project file and I'll take a look.

jokerstrom1 (at) mac.com

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Sep 18, 2007 at 2:55:37 am

Okay. This helps a lot.

The problem is that your ring is made of only a single edge. It doesn't have separate inner and outer faces so whatever you map to the outer face of that ring will also be seen on the inside face.

Fix it by building the rings a different way. Try this: In Illustrator draw a circle. Apply a stroke but no fill. Think of the stroke as the thickness of the ring, between the inner and outer faces. Now select the circle and do path>outline. You should now have a filled compound path that looks like a 0.

Import this object into ProAnimator. Orient the object as you want it to be, under the scoreboard. Now, adjust the depth slider to change the height of the ring to what you want. Now uncheck use same material for hole edges. This will allow you to place your map to the outside of the ring, and apply something else to the inside of the ring.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]