ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

ProAnimator on PC - buggy renderer?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew B
ProAnimator on PC - buggy renderer?
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:17:33 am

I just downloaded the PC demo of Proanimator and it keeps giving me an error *6 and crashing. I have narrowed it down to specific render resolutions:
640x480 with motion blur (without blur renders fine)
NTSC 720x480 with or without motion blur
NTSC Widescreen - with or without blur
I have not tried the other resolutions, but HDTV 1920x1080 works fine without motion blur (have not tried it with blur).

I really need this to work at these resolutions. Is anyone else having these same issues? I am using the standalone version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to buy this thing but only if I can get it to work!
:)

Andrew

Ps - I thought the installation process was a bit odd too. It doesn't actually install on your system, it just runs out of it's own folder...

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
Re: ProAnimator on PC - buggy renderer?
on Sep 7, 2007 at 8:20:11 pm

Hi Andrew.

Does the crash occur when you first apply the plug-in? Or when you open the Options dialog?

Would you be able to send me a project file (just the .aep file) and a few instruction to follow so that I can try to replicate the problem here?

Thanks.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

cow
Andrew B
on Sep 7, 2007 at 10:00:31 pm

Hi Matt,
I actually never saved anything since it kept crashing. Here is what I did:
1) Start the application - I am a Vegas user so I must use the stand alone version
2) select Demo
3) Click OK for demo mode
4) Select "Create 3D text"
5) Using Bauhaus93 font - I type "RedDogRecords" into the dialog box and click OK
6) I apply Chrome material to "Red" and "Records". I apply red material to "Dog"
7) I select "Crashzoom" in object animation.
8) I change the resolution to NTSC DV 720x480
9) I click 'Render Movie'
10) Name my file (without .mov at end)
11) The compression setings dialog box appears and I click OK (no changes)
12) At this point the render screen appears and the movie is rendered. (Honestly, it usually crashes at this resolution, this is the first time it actually worked at 720x480)

Now I add blur (4 pass) and click Render Movie.
The error box pops up and says: "Unable to complete the operation (*6)"
When I click OK in this dialog, the entire program closes.

------------------------------also----------------------

This has also happened when I try to render at other resolutions like DV Widescreen, except the compression dialog shows up but has nothing where the number of colors options should be. It is just plain gray. No text of anything. When I click OK I get the same error and the program exits.

My system is a quad-core QX6700 processor with 4GB of memory, raid work drives (1TB) and an NVIDIA 8800 768MB video card.

Any ideas? I have tried other preset animations and other fonts with the same results...Also, I am not running any other applications - even anti-virus is turned off.

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on Sep 7, 2007 at 10:16:27 pm

Hi Andrew.

Do you know if you're using the Software Renderer or the GL Renderer?

Try switching which renderer you're using and see if the problem still happens.

Let me know.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew B
on Sep 8, 2007 at 12:42:04 am

Hi Matt,

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was using the software renderer. I switched over to OpenGL and tried renderdering at 720x480.
It worked fine the first time with no material applied to my text. I then applied the previously mentioned chrome and red, and tried again - it gave me the *6 error.
This is just rendering at NTSC DV 720x480 with no blur.

Then....

I started the program again and rendered the same thing:
720x480, OpenGL, material applied, no blur.

It worked fine the first time, then I tried to render a second time (no changes) and got the error!

I would think perhaps it was my install, but your program doesn't actually install on Windows systems. you just run it in it's folder, right?

...or did I do something wrong?

Andrew

Return to posts index

Andrew B
on Oct 11, 2007 at 5:32:57 pm

Matt,
Any resolution on this? I see that Digital Juice has the sale going on again and I would like to buy, but only if I can get it to work.

Were you able to reproduce this error?
What causes an "error 6"?

Andrew

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Oct 18, 2007 at 1:42:42 am

I'm having the same problem with HDV resolution. I created an animation, rendered it just fine, changed the color of the letters and now it won't render at all.

Did this ever get resolved?

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Oct 19, 2007 at 4:32:32 am

Every once in a while, I can get a GOOD targa sequence rendered, other than that this program will not render anything without crashing with this error.

Rendering to a targa sequence will not crash, but 80% of them will have mostly black frames with only a few of the frames with any graphics.

Oh well, I guess I should have downloaded a trial before wasting my money...

Return to posts index

ozmotron
on Oct 29, 2007 at 10:23:22 am

I had the same problems on my Windows machines so I switched over to the OS X version and haven't had an issue at all (apart from horrid render times).

So one solution is run the SA version on a high end MacPro.

My main MAC = 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core | 8 Gb | 4 x 500 striped RAID.

I would like to find a better rendering solution though.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Oct 29, 2007 at 1:56:25 pm

For a Windows user, it doesn't really help ;) An application like ProAnimator, for me, isn't really reason to spend alot of money and time buying a new computer and switching to a different platform. Now if it were my NLE application we were talking about that might be a different issue...

I'm sure that those of us that can't get it to work are a minority. Tech support has been great trying to help me solve the problem. I'm sure we will eventually be able to figure it out, but I wasted too much time and finally had to stop trying. I was getting too far behind in my projects.

I run Lightwave on my machine, so I bought the 3D Arsenal plug-in for it that makes it easy to set up logos and 3D titles. It has been running flawlessly. I'll try ProAnimator again after another point release or when I have some extra-time...

Return to posts index

Craig Kendall
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:12:15 pm

Wow! No resolution to this as of yet? I've just started using proanimator and one of my first serious renders has produced this (*6) error. I'm fairly certain it's some sort of memory issue as while it's rendering I watch the memory and it's consistently eating up more and more until it get's down in the 1k's then the program issues the warning and stops rendering.

I'm on a laptop with 2GB memory and very few (terminated some in fact) processes running to eat up memory. Before the render I have aroun 1.7gb of memory available.

Hey Zaxwerks... would love to see this fixed! Otherwise my investment in this was just tossing money to the wind if I can't render any thing I make.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]