ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

making that frisbee spin

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ultimate Bart
making that frisbee spin
on Jul 2, 2007 at 4:43:48 pm

heey Guys

i've made a Ultimate Frisbee with Zaxwerks invigorator. now i want some action.

i can spin the frisbee in real life for like 10 a 12 seconds. but I also wanna do it on my feet etc, so i've made a 3D one.

for some reason i can control ( under set 1) all the movements except it's spinning (y-ax rotations i guess). i would like the frisbee to rotate/spin very fast like when you spin it on one finger.

I haven't tried linking "set 1" to a controller layer, there you have a Y-rotation propertie that you can animate.
but I'm sure you can rotate/spin (on y-axes i gues) an object with the properties that come with invigorator.
It also could be that the frisbee is spinning, but that i can't see it for some reason (light settings, layers on it)

please help :)

Bart

Return to posts index

Ultimate Bart
Re: making that frisbee spin
on Jul 2, 2007 at 4:54:58 pm

here you can see a few examples how the frisbee has to spin on one finger:

Barr

Return to posts index

Ultimate Bart
more details,
on Jul 3, 2007 at 10:40:14 am

I've done some more test.
and the problem lies in positioning the circle frond straightup to flat

I've made an simple circle in Illustrator en imported in invigorator.
when imported, the circel stand up straight. not flat as a frisbee.
when i move it to this flat position. the X and Y rotation switches for the " spin effect". so now if i change the X-rotation it spins. but for some reason it is not ballanced or so. and the rotation becomes wobbely. this is due to the fact that you cannot flatn a circle 100% by hand without guidelines in invigorator, if its 99,9% it becomes wobbley)
so i need to make a circle in Illustrator that lies flat. adjusting it in invigorator for a upstraight circle to a flat circle obvious won't work.(no guidelines0

(i tried this also with a simple 3D primitive plane with some dept, this plane stands upstraight and if you change it to flat like a frisbee, you can see that if you change the X-rotation it becomes all wobbley)

any help?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: more details,
on Jul 3, 2007 at 11:31:50 am

Bart,

The best way to make a frisbee is to create a custom edge and apply it to a very, very small circle from Illustrator. you can create exactly the edge profile you want, including the tiny ridges. Dig into custom edges in the manual or watch Serge's recent tutorial for help.

The wobble you're seeing is probably caused by the fact that you've rotated your object by an amount other than 90 degrees. To do it exactly, you can use the object stats controls in the set-up window.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Ultimate Bart
on Jul 3, 2007 at 2:40:24 pm

heey thanxs, that realy helps :)

I also found a complete guide at their website that is very big and it explaines alot.
the thing i don't understand (yet) is ; why use a very tiny circle?
if i import this tiny one in invigorator. it becomes more like a pencil with rough edges than as a simple circle with a bit of dept.
very nice when you wanna make a bullet, but not for a frisbee i guess.

Bart

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:38:53 pm

Bart,

You're looking at draft mode. When you adjust the smoothness or look at best-quality rendering, it will smooth out. The depth slider controls the size of the frisbee.

Jon

Return to posts index

Ultimate Bart
on Jul 3, 2007 at 6:03:15 pm

Because this circle is so tiny, the dept value of my frisbee becomes 0.03 ^^ i realized this after you told me.

here is a screenshot what the values are, and the rendered look in full quality render (this is just a test, not a beautifull frisbee)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimatebart/708122958/

-so why a tiny circle
-and those edges still won't smooth nicely in the full renderd version in AE. any idea how to smooth that?

thanxs :)

Bart

Return to posts index

serge
on Jul 6, 2007 at 4:18:37 am

Hi,

You have to apply a custom edge to a tiny circle when you are after creating a symmetrical object.

Here is an example of a Frisbee created with a Custom Edge:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Frisbee.mov

Here is the Custom Edge:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Frisbee.sit
Replace the file with the one existing in your custom edges subfolder.
You could also open the file in IL if you are interested in learning more on how I created the edge.

To get a perfect smooth object, you need to type in the following value for both Object Faceting values: (0.01) Just remember to do so right before your final render not to slow down your RAM Preview.

As to your rotation issue, if you first rotate your object in the X Axis you would need to animate the Z-Axis instead of the Y in order to get the rotation you are after. For a perfect rotation (Although I think a Frisbee shouldn't have one)you should recenter your pivot point in the scene preview window.

Salut.
Serge
INVIGORATOR-TRAINING VOL.1 soon available here: http://www.nyc-visual.com

Return to posts index

Ultimate Bart
on Jul 6, 2007 at 11:48:01 am

heey Serge

thanxs for all the efford. this realy helps me alot.

ofcourse i will look at the custom edge in illustrator. i want to learn something so that i can make things myself. not just simple coppying from someone who's a pro.

I thing invigorator is a very powerfull tool, not a plugin, and i realy want to learn more about it. so thanxs again, and i also think the invigorator training vol 1 is something that will help me alot in the future. so I'm realy looking forward for that release.

Greetzz

Bart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]