ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Is it CS3 or me?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Is it CS3 or me?
on Jul 1, 2007 at 3:24:35 pm

Hi,

Forgive this basic question but I'm having a problem turning the most basic of shapes into a 3D object in Invigorator.

I'm not sure but I'm thinking it might have something to do CS3 Illustrator (which I've just installed). Invigorator doesn't seem to like CS3 Illustrator files at all. Eventually I just tried saving the CS3 files as a CS2 files it worked (Part 1) of my problem was solved).

Is this a 'CS3 thing' or is there something else I'm supposed to do with CS3 Illustrator files before importing them into Invigorator?

Anyway, the main Part 2) of my problem is that I can't seem to bring in shapes that I've coloured using Live Paint from Illustrator CS3. They keep coming in as a cut-out in the middle of a rectangle rather than a filled shape.

Here's the particular process I'm using for making a shape in CS3. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong: I bring in some artwork, use Live Trace to vectorize it, select it, go to the Object menu and choose Expand. Now I can use the Live Paint Selection tool to select it and then use Live Paint to fill in my colors. I save the file as a CS2 Illustrator file with Compression turned off.

In After Effects, I apply Invigorator to a solid as per usual and tick Use Illustrator Colors and Open by Layers but I just get a cut-out inside a solid rectangle.

If someone would guide me in the right direction it would be so much appreciated. I've spent hours trying everything I can think of to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Is it CS3 or me?
on Jul 1, 2007 at 5:12:20 pm

Alex,

My hunch is that live trace is drawing around the white background of your logo and creating what Invigorator interprets as a compound path.

Try selecting the area outside your logo and deleting the rectangle shape.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:09:43 am

Hi Jon,

I tried your suggestion and it does change the result... but the result is now (what I can only explain as) 'big black blobs' in the rough outline of my artwork.

Frustrating. I have all these cartoon logos that I want to make 3D but I can't make a single one work in Invigorator.

Perhaps someone could post a simple workflow: how to color a shape in Illustrator that will import intact into Invigorator.

Help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks kindly,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:21:24 am

Alex,

One thing to remember - all of the objects come into Invigorator at the same default position on the Z axis. You'll need to select individual objects in the set-up window and move them forward or backward on the Z axis.

If you want to send me a file, I'll take a look at it... but do save it in an earlier format. I don't have CS3 yet. jokerstrom1 (at) mac (dot) com.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Jul 2, 2007 at 10:24:03 am

Hi Jon,

Your offer is very much appreciated.

Will send a file now with a description of every step.

Hopefully, you can spot something amiss.

You are the king!

Cheers,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jul 3, 2007 at 1:11:56 am

Alex,

I tried sending you files but your email bounced as being over quota.

The short version of the story - the autotraced art comes with its share of problems. You need to reduce it to basic filled shapes and solid colors, then map a tga version of all of those gradients to the resulting shape(s.)

It took a while, but I created a layered Illustrator doc with the basic outline of the shape on one layer and all of the black "outlines" in another layer. you can break things down further if you want to add more levels of thickness or depth.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]