ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Sphere Wrap

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Virtual LightSphere Wrap
by on Jun 29, 2007 at 4:18:14 pm

I can't seem to find any control over the vertical wrap when applying a layermap to a sphere primitive. Despite trying different size maps, I continually see the top and bottom seam.

Here;s an example of what I'm referring to...

http://www.virlt.com/ornament_test.jpg

You can see the "gather" of the map at both the top and bottom of the ornament. I want to move this artifact to the exact north and south poles of the sphere in order to hide them and create a much more realistic object.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Sphere Wrap
by on Jun 30, 2007 at 12:42:25 am

Hi Jim,

The link won't let me see the image.

Jon

Return to posts index

Virtual LightRe: Sphere Wrap
by on Jul 1, 2007 at 12:08:36 am

Jon, I had the same problem in testing my post. I got around it by selecting the entire link (after it opens in a new browser window) and just hitting or . Not sure what's going on here but this action seems to open the file.

Jim

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2007 at 10:31:31 pm

Jon, I had the same problem in testing my post. I got around it by selecting the entire link (after it opens in a new browser window) and just hitting ENTER or RETURN . Not sure what's going on here but this action seems to open the file.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Sphere Wrap
by on Jul 1, 2007 at 11:17:24 pm

Okay. I got it to work.

What I see is a pinching of the image at the polar coordinates (top and bottom of the sphere). Is that what you're talking about?

You can minimize that problem by distorting the image in the opposite way... I've found a freeware photoshop plug-in for Windows that fixes this.... if you're interested, google the words spherical mapping corrector.

I'm also certain there are other ways to do this, no matter which platform you're on.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2007 at 1:51:47 pm

Thanks Jon,

You're correct in your description of my problem. The "pinching" does go away when I use Open GL rendering but at the cost of the correct "bulging" of the map on the sphere.

Unfortunately, these plug-ins are for Windows only--I'm on a Mac. Perhaps some experimentation with a distortion on the top and bottom of the Photoshop image will allow me to fix the problem.

IMHO, a better explanation and correction through Zaxwerks documentation and software is in order.

Jim

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2007 at 4:04:18 pm

To be more specific regarding OpenGL, here's what the dialog says when you try to enable it in the AE preferences...

"OpenGL acceleration is not currently supported on this version of Mac OS. Please go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_openglsupport for current information about OpenGL hardware support"

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]