ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Need a little advice/help

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry BipedNeed a little advice/help
by on Mar 27, 2007 at 4:43:35 am

I have a model of a laptop that I need to animate opening up and flying toward the camera to a fixed position. Only problem is that I can't find a way to open and close the screen portion of the model naturally like it is attached to main part. I have put the main part of the model on one track and the screen portion in a 2nd for animation purposes. What I really need is to find a way to move the axis of the track with the screen portion to a point where it pivots naturally like a laptop would. I'm sure that it is something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. I thought that I would check with the many geniuses at this site to help work it out.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

MHancock (promoboy)Re: Need a little advice/help
by on Mar 27, 2007 at 5:50:48 pm

I did this exact same thing about a year ago. Here's how I did it:

1. Make a new "dummy" object as a "pivot point placeholder", like a small sphere or a plane.
2. Position it where you want your pivot point for your laptop lid to be. Probably where it touches the base, in center. Assign the dummy object to an empty set.
3. Now assign the lid of your laptop to the same set your dummy object is.

Invigorator uses the first object assigned to a set as the pivot point. By making this dummy object the first object and putting it where you want it, the other ojects will now see that as the pivot point. Simply make the dummy object invisible and rotate away!

Michael.

Return to posts index

Harry BipedRe: Need a little advice/help
by on Mar 27, 2007 at 10:52:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. Problems is that it is not working for me. Maybe I'm not doing something right. Are you saying to create a new track with a primative in it and position the center of the primative at the point that I want the pivot? Then add the top portion of the model that is the screen to that same track and it will work? That is what I have done so far to no success. Am I not doing something right? Any further tips? Again thanks for the help with this.

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Need a little advice/help
by on Mar 28, 2007 at 12:23:45 am

Harry,

Michael's tip works for Invigorator. You're using ProAnimator, right? Two very different animation feature sets.

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2007 at 4:47:11 am

Ya, that's right. I'm using ProAnimator. Any suggestions for me with ProAnimator? It's driving me nuts not being able to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Need a little advice/help
by on Mar 28, 2007 at 12:10:07 pm

Harry,

My first thought is to create a pose group for all elements of the lid and animate the motion of the lid on one track.
Leave all of the elements in the base static on the second track.

Instead of flying both groups past the camera, create a camera track and fly it by the computer. It'll make things a lot simpler.

I don't have a receipe yet for making the lid group move on its "hinge." If I get time, I'll see what I can come up with. For now, hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

MHancock (promoboy)Re: Need a little advice/help
by on Mar 28, 2007 at 12:37:04 pm

Oops! I didn't realize you were using Proanimator. Well, I guess if you ever have to use Invigorator Classic or Pro you'll know how to do it. :-) My apologies.

Michael.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2007 at 5:28:36 pm

Thanks to both MHancock and Jon for help with this. ProAnimator is such a great program for the cost that sometimes when I run across little issues like this I am surprised that there is not a solution to the problem. I guess that I will have to just find an alternate way of dealing with the animation. Again, thanks for ya'lls help with this. At least I know that I am not overlooking something simple. If anyone else out there has a solution, please let me know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]