ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Shadows & Highlights basic trouble

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
flashato
Shadows & Highlights basic trouble
on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:22:32 am

Hi and thanks for the forum.
As per tutorials on pdf,I create a sphere,and a plane.I Select on the Higlight Brightness, choose my texture(PDS), and drag again the material on my sphere, nothing append(I tried to move around the light to).The same if I want to have a very basic sphere shadow on a plane,by selecting the sphere first,and the Shadow Catch option(and again I drag the material on the sphere,or plane).Wath I do wrong?
thanks
Arthur

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Shadows & Highlights basic trouble
on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:23:57 pm

Arthur,

When you change the lighting or shadow options, in the set-up area, you need to click the little sun icon below the scene preview window for the changes to affect your scene.

To apply an image to an object, use the texture editor.... either create a new material or modify one that's there. Select the image by clicking on the appropriate thumbnail... a normal material, transparency, bump or reflection map. When you click the thumbnail, you'll navigate to your image... normally a tga format.

You can to the sane with layermaps, but it's a slightly different process.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

flashato
on Feb 13, 2007 at 6:19:07 pm

Thanks for your precious time Mr Okerstrom
Yes that help me, and i saw that when i use the stanalone app.if I render the frame with Hight Quality Open Gl, he does'nt show me the sahdow, and with invigorator render yes.
But because most of my application are in AE 7, and i use the plug in version, i don't think it is really important for now...My open GL setting are all turned on (shadow light etc etc ), and I have an Quadro FX 1500 M/PCISSE2, and my laptop is a DELL precision m90 1 gb ram.
My texture memory is setting at 150 mb
Are those setting ok for?
Thanks again I really apreciate your help

Arthur

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on Feb 13, 2007 at 9:04:03 pm

Hello Arthur.

The Hi-Quality OpenGL renderer doesn't currently support shadows, including the Shadowcatcher material style.

You should use the Invigorator Renderer when working with shadows.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

flashato
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:36:32 am

Ok,just to be sure that is not an error of my part.
Last, I really want to thank you guys for the amazing job you make in your projects, and in this forum.
Thanks
Arthur

Return to posts index

richard
on Feb 18, 2007 at 6:45:20 am

Actually, I am confused with applying bump maps. What is the proceedure here ? I guess I need to try clicking the sun icon too, as I never have got this to work ( I have been using imported models)....
Richard

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Feb 18, 2007 at 1:06:12 pm

Richard,

What about bump maps troubles you? The general idea is that bump maps use grayscale data to fake bumps or other imperfections in surfaces. In the material editor, double click the large thumbnail next to bump maps and choose the image you want to use. Use the slider to determine how strong you want the bump map to be and be sure the material you're editing has been or will be applied to the object.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

richard
on Feb 21, 2007 at 4:42:57 am

I understand the principle of bump maps but was having trouble getting things to work in PA. I will give it another try. I want to get an object to pickup light as it moves which involves the reflective map. Many thanks for the advice.
Richard

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Feb 22, 2007 at 3:07:05 am

Hi Richard,

Two tips:

1) If you're using bump maps, use the native rendering option rather than OpenGL.

2) You'll want to use PA as a plug-in to make the most of animated reflection maps, which can benefit from motion as well as changes in brightness and color. You can also use AE's lights to animate light qualities.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

richard
on Feb 25, 2007 at 4:29:10 am

Thanks Jon, I will try that.
Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]