ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Importing an object from illustrator to Proanimator question?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh J. Johnson
Importing an object from illustrator to Proanimator question?
on Jan 21, 2007 at 8:29:53 am

I'm new to Illustrator and Proanimator but I have gotten text from illustrator imported in to proanimator but my question is can you import a picture of a motorcylce for example from illustrator to proanimator using live draw?

thanks

Josh Johnson
Manager of Video Production
ETC, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Importing an object from illustrator to Proanimator question?
on Jan 21, 2007 at 3:12:14 pm

Josh,

ProAnimator only deals with vector-based art. Some people use Illustrator's autotrace feature to convert bit-mapped pictures to vector art, but I'll caution you that some clean-up will be required.

If I was doing it, I would use the motorcycle picture as a template and make a vector-based version of it. If you do this, you'll want to break the motorcycle down to its simplest shapes.

It's fairly straightforward to create the general shape of the motorcycle and apply the image to it. But creating a true 3D motorcycle will be more time-consuming and difficult because you'll have a ton of pieces and have to reorient some of them.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

Josh J. Johnson
on Jan 21, 2007 at 8:47:34 pm

Thanks for responding John. I'm new to illustrator and proanimator so how excatly would I make the motorcyle picture vector art without using live trace?

Thank you very much John.

Josh Johnson
Manager of Video Production
ETC, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 22, 2007 at 12:23:42 am

Josh,

You'll need to get very familiar with Illustrator's tools.. particularly the pen tool and pathfinder. You could apply the motorcycle image to the shape of the motorcycle by tracing around the motorcycle by hand.

If you're actually modeling a motorcycle, it's a much more complicated project because you'll have to think about breaking the motorcycle down into basic shapes. It can be done, but it'll take a lot of time and work.

Jon

Return to posts index

Josh J. Johnson
on Jan 22, 2007 at 2:52:07 pm

Another question for you I got the motorcyle to appear in proanimator but it appeard as more of a "cookie cutter" obejct. It was liek a solid layer with a cookie cutter shape of a motorcyle cut out? Any info on why so?

Thank You.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jan 23, 2007 at 1:22:08 am

Hi Josh,

Take a look at your original Illustrator file. I bet you have a white background element that's creating a compound path where one is not wanted.

To find out for sure, change the view to "outline." This will show you all of the vectors in the drawing. Delete the rectangular bounding box that's probably there.

That will probably solve it.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]