ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

illustrator paths in zaxwerks dont work

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rivlinm
illustrator paths in zaxwerks dont work
on Nov 6, 2006 at 7:48:21 pm

hey folks, im new here and am having a bit of trouble with a task.

My main goal is to import some AI work into AE/zaxwerks and make it 3D.

I create a solid, add the 3d invig 4.0 pro plugin to that solid, then click add illustrator file. I have tried on numerous AI files and cant get them to work. (I think my problem lies within making the paths) 3d pro tells me no usable vector paths were found. there are clearly paths that i drew in AI, but i dont know what is wrong.

i tried with the sample AI files that come with the program and they work fine. (their paths are in orange or green) but when i try with my own or converted .eps files the paths are in blue, and never can load into the invigorator. I even take text, convert to outlines, making a path, and it wont work, even the pen tool paths that i just draw by hand dont function.

any help would be much appreciated. im using AE 7.0 pro, invig 4.0 pro, AI CS2, win xp pro on a fully loaded system. thanks agian

matthew

Return to posts index

rivlinm
Re: illustrator paths in zaxwerks dont work
on Nov 6, 2006 at 11:29:53 pm

ok, i figured it all out. sorry for posting something so often written about.

after spending the past few hours though i now have a new question.

i have made a 3d logo slightly rotate (using the orbit cam effect) and now i wanna add a gradient that flashes across from one corner to the next. i know many ways to do this with flat 2d graphics, but with 3d being new to me and not knowing the ins and outs of invig, is there a good way to do this. should i do it via invig or AE?

thanks again

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Nov 7, 2006 at 1:25:51 am

Hi Matthew,

There are lots of ways to do this.

My first choice would be to use a layermap as a reflection map and animate the offset to get movement even when the obect is still.

Another choice would be Zaxwerks Gradientwerks... it creates traveling gradients that are a step above the old standby, lightsweep... combine that with Glintwerks, and the options are limitless.

Jon

Return to posts index

rivlinm
on Nov 7, 2006 at 2:20:28 am

hey thanks for the reply.

however i have a few questions still

in reading about layermaps, it says you can take any layer in any comp in the project (they dont show up however when i throw a PS gradient in another comp. there are no special effects so it shouldnt need to be pre comped from what i understand)

also you said add it as a reflection map, so i put in under the reflectivity slider in the setup menu. is that right?

if my layer i want is a still gradient but on the 3d model i want it to pan from left to right, do i need to animate it in the copisition before i add it, or will the off set slider take care of that for me.

thanks for your help, and i hope i can figure this out soon.

teaching youself is tons of fun!!!!!

matthew

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Nov 7, 2006 at 2:52:18 am

Glad you're enjoying the process.

You said:

>>in reading about layermaps, it says you can take any layer in any comp in the project (they dont show up however when i throw a PS gradient in another comp. there are no special effects so it shouldnt need to be pre comped from what i understand)

You can use layers or precomps for layermaps. Use precomps (with attributes moved inside) to make AE render the effects first. You normally hide the visibility of these layers or precomps in your AE timeline. (Uncheck the eyeball)

You also said:

>>also you said add it as a reflection map, so i put in under the reflectivity slider in the setup menu. is that right? if my layer i want is a still gradient but on the 3d model i want it to pan from left to right, do i need to animate it in the copisition before i add it, or will the off set slider take care of that for me.

The image or animation being used to create the reflection does indeed belong on the reflection channel. In your case, you're using a layermap, so you'll need to assign the layer or precomp a layermap number in the popup menu. Also be sure the material you've chosen includes that layermap.

Setting starting end ending keyframes for the offset will make it appear like the reflection map is traveling across the object.

Moving the reflectivity slider will determine how strong the reflection is.

You also said:

>> thanks for your help, and i hope i can figure this out soon.

You're welcome. Have fun!

Jon

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Nov 7, 2006 at 1:17:52 am

Matthew,

Be sure to uncheck the "use compression" box when you save your files. That should solve the problem.

Otherwise, filled solids are what Invigorator likes best. If you have text in the file, convert it to outlines.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]