ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

3d Halloween Pumpkin

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian06
3d Halloween Pumpkin
on Oct 16, 2006 at 4:51:15 pm

Hi
i'm pretty clueless how to create the texture + bump map for a pumpkin like this
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/171234/SID/274864/blFP/1

Serge have you got some time left ;)

Return to posts index

serge
Here you go
on Oct 17, 2006 at 12:19:07 am

Hi Julian06,

I would use a 3D program to create a realistic pumpkin, as Invigorator can't yet deform an object. However, if you are not after realism. Here is simple project for you:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Pumpkin.sit

Looks like this:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Pumpkin.jpg

Have fun.
Serge

"InvigoMany" Available here:http://www.nyc-visual.com

Return to posts index

Julian06
Re: thank you
on Oct 17, 2006 at 4:27:56 am

Hi Serge

thank you very very much!!great stuff!

[serge] "I would use a 3D program to create a realistic pumpkin"
no money to buy a 3d app.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Oct 22, 2006 at 4:51:10 am

Hi there,

saw the pumpkin and loved it.... is it only compatible with AE 7.0....

reason I ask is I have innvigorator Classic 3.0 for ae 6.5.1 and I do have AE 7.0 but it seems innvigorator classic is not compatible with AE 7.0.

Thanks for any responses.

Paul

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Oct 22, 2006 at 2:17:43 pm

Hi Paul,

Are you asking about Serge's pumpkin or the other one imported from another 3D modeler?

Serge's is made from a sphere, which you can easily make with Classic verion 3. He did his using the primative option, but you can make a sphere with a very small circle in Illustrator and the half pipe setting. Search the archives for more about this.

The other pumpkin was imported from another modeling application. Classic can't do that, but Invigorator Pro can.

It might be time to upgrade to Pro.. or at least to the current version of Classic. The current version of Classic is 4.01.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Oct 23, 2006 at 1:38:00 am

Thanks for the advice. Actually I have been considering upgrading recently.

I suppose I was referring to the cooler looking one... but hey... I'm super stupid with Zax... no really.

I do have 3dsmax 5.0 but not very good at that either. A quick question. What are some good resources for learning Zax. I have the video that came with it and the user's manual but they aren't terribly instructive.

Total Training had a video series on Zax a few years ago but when I got around to ordering it they had pulled it.

I'll work on making a sphere out of a spot tonight.

Who would've thunk a sphere was a spot....

I'll remember what you said about the primitive too.

cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:10:46 am

Hi Paul,

You'll find some tutorials (including one I just wrote) in the tutorial section of the COW. If you have a specific topic you would like to explore, let us know. We can help here, or write more tutorials.

Jon

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:31:19 am

Hi there,

I looked at your text tutorial and I'm planning on going through it to learn... learn. What I was thinking of is I saw on the COW in the past a person who had made a 3D truck all out of Zax.

Do you know how to make compound objects with Zax and how is that done?

I wish I knew more about what Zax can... and maybe more importantly what it can't do.

I know, kind of a loaded question because it depends on the user's experience and expertise.

Cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:35:40 am

Paul,

You can make almost anything with Invigorator and Illustrator. Simply break down the shape you're trying to build into its most basic parts. I remember a guy who built a model of a very complex video camera doing this. I've made entire houses in the same way... just to see if it could be done.

One last thought... Invigorator can't make boolean objects with Invigorator, but you can cut holes in objects using transparency maps.

Imagination is really the biggest limit for some people.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:42:11 am

ok... but could you tell me or point me to a tutorial of how to make just a simple object? I don't know how to make even the simplest compound object.... at least I don't think I know how... I mean... I can bring in an Illustrator file with multiple paths...I guess you make the whole "truck" or whatever as one big illustrator file and then bring it in and work on it in Zax and make sets and the like.

hmm...

anyway.. sorry for my ignorance on this.

cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Oct 24, 2006 at 1:57:11 am

Hi Paul,

The trick is to break complex objects down to their simplest extruded shapes, then organize those shapes into layers in Illustrator. For example, a telephoto still camera lens could be made of a series of Illustrator cicles of varying sizes with varying bevels applied, and stacked one on top of the next.

Be sure to name the layers to keep things organized, once you import everything into Invigorator.

You probably won't want to attempt modeling the body of a Ferrari... organic shapes like this are not Invigorator's strong suit.

Good luck.

Jon

Return to posts index

Julian06
My version
on Oct 22, 2006 at 11:41:04 am

Hi
I messed around with invig and a blank 3d model=>
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5783/pumpkin360x288dh5.jpg

Thanks for your Input Serge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>