ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Placing 3D zax Object in 3D space

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newton
Placing 3D zax Object in 3D space
on Sep 5, 2006 at 8:50:50 am

Hi I have a question about how to place a zax 3D object at a specific 3D position inside After Effects using 3D Invigorator Classic 3.0.

I have imported a logo from an Illustrator file. I have placed the logo at the 'bottom' of the Illustrator file and unticked center file so that it is placed perpendicular to the zaxwerks plane. I have then ticked use comp camera.
My problem now is how do I say to zaxwerks place this object at say 20,0,15.
I have tried moving the object using sets but it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone got any ideas.

Kind Regards

Chris

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Placing 3D zax Object in 3D space
on Sep 5, 2006 at 1:18:22 pm

Hi Chris,

The first thing to remember is that Invigorator's 3d space is not the same as AE's 3d space, even when you click the "use comp camera" button. Invigorator is still an effect normally applied to a 2d solid. The order of layers helps determine which things are in front and behind the Invigorator objects. The "use comp camera" button essentially links Invig's camera to the comp camera attributes.

You can position your objects two ways: First, set the base position in the set-up window. You can select the object and use the object stats diologue box to position it. Remember this positioning tool is NOT animatable and changing this after you've done your animating of sets could have unintended results.

You can position the SETS that contain objects (and animate those positions) in the AE timeline. You can do this numerically or by using the move tools in the scene preview window.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Newton
on Sep 5, 2006 at 2:21:56 pm

Thanks for that but it still does not seem to work.
When I type in the 3D co ordinates into the object stats dialogue box, and tick the use comp camera, the 3D object does not appear at the right place in the 3D comp. It seems to be along way out in the Z direction.
Is there something that needs changing? FOV of the camera perhaps?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Chris

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Sep 6, 2006 at 12:30:30 am

Hi Chris,

First, be sure you're using the comp camera view rather than the default view. Changing the lens settings will alter what you see.

Jon

Return to posts index

Chris Newton
on Sep 7, 2006 at 3:35:28 pm

Hi Jon,
I will check this.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>