ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Rotating objects on an off center axis / center point?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phosphene
Rotating objects on an off center axis / center point?
on Jul 13, 2006 at 10:02:01 am

In ProAnimator 4.0.2 on mac osx I am simply trying to make a ring spin on an axis other than its' center. Is this possible?

I created the ring in AI CS2 and imported it..(had to save as Illustrator 3 before it would import?!) Set my bevels and textures fine. Most of the animation stuff makes sense. But I cant seem to figure out how to change the axis/center point of an object.

Closest I've come is... lining up a duplicate ring next to it and spinning using common center. Although, I only want to see one of the rings, and spinning on common center forces me to put both objects on 1 track, consequently disallowing me to make only 1 invisible.

am i missing something?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Rotating objects on an off center axis / center point?
on Jul 13, 2006 at 6:05:31 pm

Hi Phosphene,

First, the easy part: when you save your Illustrator file, uncheck the compression box. This will help you avoid having to save as an earlier version of Illustrator.

Second, are you trying to make this rotation happen during a pose or during a transition? The answer will help us help you.

Jon

Return to posts index

phosphene
on Jul 13, 2006 at 7:48:07 pm

i was making the adjustments in pose. This wasn't working, so i tried tinkering with transition settings and was getting closer. Then 4:30 am rolled around and i gave up for the night. :D

ultimately, the end justifies the means for me. I just want the ring to spin off center...the way its accomplished is unimportant.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Jul 14, 2006 at 2:02:14 am

Hi Phosphene.

Here's one recipe for how to do it.

On an empty object track, create a torus primative.
Hit the duplicate button. The second torus remains selected and is located in the new track 2.
Track command> Move selected object to Track 1.
Track 2 disappears.
Select both objects.
Pose Grouping>Make group. Name it if you want.
Pose Action>Spin Y.
Choose an amount of spin you want. Adjust the length of the pose if you want.
The two torus objects now spin around their combined center.
Using the object pop-up below the scene preview window, select just one of the objects.
Click the make invisible check box.
The remaining visible torus spins off axis.

You can do the same with objects other than primatives and use other pose actions, of course. You can adjust the position of the either object to change the center of rotation... but do it before they're grouped.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]