ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Newbie needs help with Invigorator

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul234Newbie needs help with Invigorator
by on May 21, 2006 at 6:35:37 pm

I have two questions that I would really appreciate help with. The first one is that I would like to create a 3D filmstrip effect for a video project that I am working on at my college. I recently found a tutorial at your site which did pretty much what I wanted, but it seemed to be geared more for an experienced After Effects user than for an Newbie like me. There were many steps which were not explained and the After Effects project seemed very complex. Are there any tutorials or books which describe this in more detail? What I want is to have a Filmstrip with pictures of the people in my video and I would like to have the filmstrip appear to move around in 3D space until eventually it stops and I get a closeup on individual frames.

The other problem I am having is that when I import an Illustrator file into in AE7 and apply Invigorator Pro 4 to it I can't see the image in the Invigorator preview screen. Further, the buttons don't seem to work unless I go to the setup screen then they work, but I still can't see anything unless I tweek the camera settings, etc. I am sure it is just a basic adjustment, but I don't know what it is.

Sorry for the rambling, but, any help would be gratefully, appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Newbie needs help with Invigorator
by on May 21, 2006 at 11:31:26 pm

Hi Paul,

There are many ways to gain a basic understanding of After Effects, including the manual, Adobe's classroom in a book, as well as a host of excellent books and dvds. Books by Chris and Trish Meyer are excellent. Totaltraining.com and Lynda.com are very good as well. And some of the After Effects gurus on the COW are producing new training materials worthy of attention.

As for the filmstrip tutorial, ask a specific question and we'll try to help you through it.

As for the second question, you apply the Invigorator effect to a solid made the same size as the composition. You do not apply Invigorator to an Illustrator file you've imported into After Effects. When you do apply Invigorator to a solid, you'll be asked to open an Illustrator file. The objects in that file will be centered in the scene by default.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Paul234Re: Newbie needs help with Invigorator
by on May 21, 2006 at 11:44:54 pm

Thanks Jon,

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I did create a solid and then I applied the invigorator effect to the solid. Invigorator then gave me several options including open an illustrator file which I did. It was after this step that the image was not centered.

As for the film strip problem. I guess I am just too impatient. I wanted to create the effect without learning After Effects thoroughly enough. I will work with the tutorial and see if I can figure it out and I will then ask more specific questions. The tutorial was called "creating a 3D filmstrip" by Serge Hamad, 2005. I would still still appreciate a more detailed explanation of that effect in particular but I will also work on my AE knowledge in general. Thanks very much for your help. Paul

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2006 at 3:11:13 am

Hi Paul,

Gotcha. Let us know how it goes.

As for your Illustrator file, check it for objects or stray points you may not realize are in the artwork. Those can make the 3D objects appear not be centered when Invigorator opens the Illustrator file.

One word of advice... spend some time getting to know the difference between moving objects in the set-up window and moving sets containing objects in the scene preview window. The tools may look similar, but they have very different functions.

Again, if you get stuck, ask away. We're here to help.

Jon

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2006 at 3:11:19 am

Hi Paul,

Gotcha. Let us know how it goes.

As for your Illustrator file, check it for objects or stray points you may not realize are in the artwork. Those can make the 3D objects appear not be centered when Invigorator opens the Illustrator file.

One word of advice... spend some time getting to know the difference between moving objects in the set-up window and moving sets containing objects in the scene preview window. The tools may look similar, but they have very different functions.

Again, if you get stuck, ask away. We're here to help.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]