3d Flag Questions

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Mirande
3d Flag Questions
on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:41:46 pm

Hello,

2 quick questions regarding 3d Flag:

I bought 3d Flag Plug-in for Adobe Premiere 1.5 when it was first released. Based on the web site, it would appear that there is a significant new release of 3d Flag. I don't see anything about an upgrade path. Is there one?

Also, on the purchase page on Zaxwerk's site, it mentions Adobe Premiere 1.5 (again for 3d Flag) but makes no mention of Premiere Pro 2.0. Is that release supported?

Thanks!

Tim

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: 3d Flag Questions
on Apr 11, 2006 at 2:31:43 am

Hi Tim,

You'll get the quickest answer to your questions (including Premiere 2.0 support) by contacting Zaxwerks directly.

I think what you're seeing is the different "flavors" of flag. Premiere Pro and After Effects versions on Windows and Motion and After Effects versions on Mac.

It's not really an upgrade to get Flag for a different application.... if you want to be able to use the After Effects version, I suspect you'll need to buy a seat in that flavor.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

Tim Mirande
on Apr 11, 2006 at 9:50:22 pm

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the response. I did send a direct question via Zaxwerks but got no response there, so I thought I'd try here. Probably too busy getting ready for NAB.

Do you know if the different 'flavors' of 3D Flag have (drastically) different feature sets? IOW, does the AE version contain a lot of features not included in the plug-in for PPRo?

When I looked at the 'product details' on Zaxwerks' website, it talks about a feature called Flagpole Animation. It's pretty cool. This feature does not appear to be in the PPro version that I have. I don't think choosing different cloths is there either (not sure on this one though as I'm not at my editing workstation.)

I really wish software vendors would plainly and clearly version number their programs. Both on the Help/About screen (or somewhere easy to find) as well as on their web sites. It would save so much time keeping our software investments up to date - and this isn't just a rub against Zaxwerks. Many don't do that. I just don't see why.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:11:23 am

Hi Tim,

I haven't used the Premiere version, so I can't be 100 percent certain. Have you checked the documentation on the install disk?

Jon

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
on Apr 17, 2006 at 11:11:09 pm

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The feature sets of all 3 flag plug-ins are the same that's why we don't call out feature sets of each one. As much as it would make our lives simpler we had to write the same plug-in 3 different times so it would work in each of the three hosts. Premiere is supposed to support AE plug-ins but it doesn't support all of the features of the plug-in spec. So the one small difference about the Premiere version is that when you select a Wind Style, you don't get to see the keyframes in the timeline because a plug-in can't set keyframes in Premiere. You'll see the same type of wind, you just won't see the keyframes that creates the wind.

To choose the different types of cloth, click the big flag picture icon to open up the options window. Here you can choose different cloth types.

As far as flag pole animation goes. There is a twirly arrow that hides all of the flag pole settings. Once you open that twirly arrow you will see the same controls whether you are in the Premiere, AE, or Motion versions.

TIP: When creating flag pole animations, turn off the "Simulation ON" checkbox. This will make the flag look like a stiff board, however it will really speed up the redraw speed because the plug-in isn't trying to calculate the folding of the cloth at the same time that you are trying to position the flag pole.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

cow
Tim Mirande
on Apr 18, 2006 at 2:15:38 pm

Hello Zax,

Thanks for the detailed response. I thought that was the case. I did locate the additional pole animation parameters after having read your message.

BTW, love the product! It's simple yet very effective. I've used it on several corporate pieces that were played via PowerPoint. One was on a pitch where the theme was, "winning the war for talent." I had the prospects' names & logos on animated flags, with appropriate marching music. It kicked off the presentation - and was very effective. It got a lot of 'wows' and 'how did they do that' responses. Thanks again!

Regards,

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]