ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Lathe object

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JodyJo
Lathe object
on Mar 7, 2006 at 6:08:09 pm

Hi-

I have read nearly every page of the manual loooking for the answer to this question: am I crazy or is it impossible to import an illustrator file as a lathe object? I only get an extrusion. If lathe objects are not do-able, how can I manipulate a primitive (sphere) into an apple?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Lathe object
on Mar 8, 2006 at 2:19:07 am

Hi Jody,

The trick is to create a custom edge and apply it to a very small sphere. Invigorator Pro AE includes the ability to import custom edges from an Illustrator file and the documentation on how to make the edges in Illustrator.

I searched the archives of this forum and found a picture of an apple Serge made using a custom edge.

http://www.nyc-visual.com/apple.jpg

Jon

Return to posts index

Serge
on Mar 8, 2006 at 3:42:26 am

Ah! Jon, You are reviving good old memories here.

Jody, If your last name isn't Eva and need the aep let me know and I will look for it in my old drives.

Salut.
Serge

Return to posts index

JodyJo
on Mar 8, 2006 at 7:44:01 pm

Serge-

I'm a new and sporadic user of Zaxwerks-mostly doing spinning logos. Trying to create a lathe object is new to me.

I've been attempting what Jon has posted-to no avail. If I just put in a primitive sphere, I do not get the edges options at all. If I go by the book (pg 325), import a circle, add a half pipe edge I do not get a sphere as the book says, I get a fat circle-like a fat pancake or coin.

So whatever you or someone else has done that you wouldn't mind sharing I'd be extremely grateful!

Also, I'm having difficulty understanding the edges and custom edges. What would the custom edge look like for an apple?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Serge
on Mar 9, 2006 at 2:15:24 am

Hey,

I will get back to you soon with a couple of answers if someone else doesn't do before. Meanwhile here is the aep just to get you going. Please notice the mapping:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Apple.sit

Salut.
Serge

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Mar 9, 2006 at 2:15:42 am

Hi Jody,

The custom edge would look like the shape of the outside surface of the apple, from the point where the stem enters the apple, around one side of the apple and stopping in the indentation in the bottom center.

As for the sphere problems, you're right. A primative sphere will not work.

Using the circle from Illustrator, make it very, very small. Maybe the size of a 12 point period. Then, in Invigorator, use the depth scale to adjust the size of the sphere.

Hope this helps... in case Serge can't find his aep file.

Jon

Return to posts index

JodyJo
Re: custom edge doesn't load
on Mar 9, 2006 at 10:06:36 pm

Hi-

Just another little quirk to throw in. My custom edge doesn't load as it should.

I have found four different "custom edges" folders in my Zaxwerks folder-all have the edge examples file in them. I have both exported an Illus. legacy (vs. 8) ai file and just saved an ai file to every one of these folders. When I go to custom edges: nothing. In case you're wondering, I have the AE-pro 406 version.

Any ideas? And thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Mar 8, 2006 at 2:19:07 am

Hi Jody,

The trick is to create a custom edge and apply it to a very small sphere. Invigorator Pro AE includes the ability to import custom edges from an Illustrator file and the documentation on how to make the edges in Illustrator.

I searched the archives of this forum and found a picture of an apple Serge made using a custom edge.

http://www.nyc-visual.com/apple.jpg

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]