ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Multiple Objects, One Image

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curtis
Multiple Objects, One Image
on Feb 3, 2006 at 11:10:59 pm

I haven't started on this yet, so I may find the answer on my own, but I'm assuming I'll need some help.

Client wants a photo to be applied to a jigsaw puzzle. As the VO is read, pieces of the puzzle will fall away, leaving only a couple of pieces on screen. I know how to map a layer to each piece indiviually, but can I map one layer or image to span across multiple objects?

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Multiple Objects, One Image
on Feb 7, 2006 at 4:52:53 am

Hi Curtis,

The photo on a jigsaw puzzle idea can be accomplished in a number of ways. One easy non-Invigorator method would be to use the Shatter plug-in. It's life began as part of Atomic Power Evolution and has been incorporated into AE Pro. There's even a puzzle piece default. And it'll easily do what you want.

So far as Invigorator goes, applying a single image or layermap across multiple objects as you would want for your puzzle project isn't as straightforward. Invigorator's basic rule is it stretches the image or layermap to fit the face or edge of a single object.

Even so, I can think of a couple of ways to make it work...

One would be to put the duplicates of your image or layermap in a series of precomps... one for each puzzle piece. Make the precomp smaller than the image... to hide the part of the image you don't want to apply to the puzzle piece. It would take some fussing to get the size, position and aspect ratio of the precomp to line up correctly, but it can be done.

A second way involves setting up your illustrator document so each puzzle piece includes some off-screen "registration" elements. I can get into details of that if you want.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Curtis
Re: Multiple Objects, One Image
on Feb 8, 2006 at 4:43:07 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. For time's sake, I may go with Shatter for now, but your pre-comp suggestion should work. I just don't have the time for fussing.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]