ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Layer Mapping problem

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Howarth
Layer Mapping problem
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:49:42 pm

I am trying to map an AE layer to the outside edge of an extruded object (illustrator solid). The image that is displayed is wrapping upside down and only shows a third of the entire image (footage layer).

Are there any settings to fix this? I haven't found any choices that affect how the layer is wrapped.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Hugh

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: Layer Mapping problem
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:37:49 am

Hi Hugh,

Invigorator does wrap materials differently on edges (inside and outside) than it applies them to front and rear faces.

For front and rear, it's straight forward. Invig stretches the image (or in your case, layermap) to fit the face. If the aspect ratios of the image and the object are the same, there's no distortion. If not, you'll get some squeezing of stretching effect.

For edges, Invigorator applies materials as you would apply a ribbon around the object, starting with the lowest, leftest corner of the object. Think of the ribbon's height as equal to the depth of the edge and the ribbon's width equal to the distance around the object. In other words, it's normally very short and very wide.

To avoid squeezing/stretching type distortion, I would suggest creating a precomp in the aspect ratio of the edge material, with the elements of your layermap inside. Using the ribbon analogy, you'll see why parts of the image appear upside down. You can fix that by manipulating portions of the image in the precomp.

(Here's an example: when mapping a cube with all sides being perfect squares, the "layermap ribbon" would be one unit tall by four units wide.) Your layermap should have the same aspect ratio... its precomp might be 480 pixels tall by (4x480 pixels) wide.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

Hugh Howarth
Re: Layer Mapping problem
on Feb 2, 2006 at 1:19:25 am

Thanks Jon,

That was very helpful. The mapping on the outside if the object just seems to take a lot of trial and error to get it right.

I created an oversized precomp with my footage and maunipulated it until I finally got it to work. I didn't want to reduce the size of the footage, so going with a larger precomp for the layer map was crucial.

Thanks again for your help,
Hugh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]