ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Making a snowboard

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shyguyjay18Making a snowboard
by on Jan 1, 2006 at 5:31:31 pm

Does anyone know the best way to make a snowboard in Illustrator to be used as a 3D object in Zaxwerks? I'm fairly new to all this stuff. My main concern is how I would make the ends of the board curve upwards. If anyone has any ideas, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!

Jay

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: Making a snowboard
by on Jan 2, 2006 at 12:13:09 am

Good challenge, Jay.

One way to do it would be to make a line in Illustrator representing the edge profile of the board. (Look at the board from the side.. imagine a straight line with curves at both ends.) Use the no bevel. Use the edge depth controls to determine the width of the top/bottom faces of the board. Then create a transparency map to cut away the corners and reveal the curves of the tip and tail. A limitiation of this solution would be that it won't create the side edges for the board... you would be able to see between the top and bottom surfaces at certain angles.

Perhaps Serge has another idea, but if you can't live with the limitations of the solution, you might consider finding a free snowboard model at 3dcafe.com, or modeling one in another app.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

sergeRe: Making a snowboard
by on Jan 2, 2006 at 3:54:08 pm

Hi,

John is right, this is something I would also do in a 3D program.

If you are not after perfection though, the manipulation tools implement a pretty useful "Squeezer" I can't remember the name right now but it looks like two squares and an arrow. Using it in combination with the ai file I created for you in the following project, you may reach a passable snowboard.
http://www.nyc-visual.com/snowboard.sit

Looks like this:
http://www.nyc-visual.com/Snowboard.mov

Salut.
Serge

Return to posts index

shyguyjay18Re: Making a snowboard
by on Jan 2, 2006 at 8:38:06 pm

Hey guys:

Thank you both for the help. You've got me on the right track now! Serge, I appreciate the AE file and the Illustrator file as this was exactly what I was looking for. The AE file doesn't open properly cause I think you're using a more recent version of Zaxwerks. I am using Pro 3.0.4. Nevertheless, I should be able to play around with the Illustrator file you sent me to get something that's workable.

Thanks again!
Jay

Return to posts index

sergeRe: Making a snowboard
by on Jan 2, 2006 at 10:55:51 pm

Jay,

If you have trouble modeling the board download a demo of Invigorator version 4.0 to open the aep and check the edge settings.

Glad to hear it helps.

Salut.
Serge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]