ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

can you apply object styles to imported 3d objects?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffrey fitzgerald
can you apply object styles to imported 3d objects?
on Dec 30, 2005 at 10:28:13 pm

Using some lightwave 3d objects I made inside 3DI. Can you drag object styles to these? I guess the surfaces need to be named a certain way. Any help much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
Re: can you apply object styles to imported 3d objects?
on Dec 30, 2005 at 10:38:18 pm

Hi jeffrey,

You may apply materials, but not object styles to imported objects. You may not apply more than one material to an imported object, like you can with native Invigorator objects. If you need to apply more than one material to your imported bject, the only way is to go back to lightwave and cut the object into pieces. Each piece can then have a different material.

Does this help?

Jon

Return to posts index

John Rich
on Dec 31, 2005 at 1:14:48 am

Along the same lines (I can't get the 4.06 I Pro manual to come up for some reason), can you apply two different layer maps or more to a cube for instance, that has been created as a primitive in I Pro?

John Rich

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Dec 31, 2005 at 3:35:33 am

Hi John,

To find out, select the primative and click on the material set-up button above the main window. The number of available bins tells you the number of different materials you can apply.

In the case of a sphere, one material is all you can apply. A cylinder, 3. A cube, 6.

Interestingly, your options for applying materials to a cube created by using an imported Illustrator square will be different. You can use split the edges for texturing purposes with the imported version, but you can't for a primative cube. On the flip side, it's easier to apply different materials to all six sides using the primative cube.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Dec 31, 2005 at 4:45:30 am

I appreciate the help. That seems kind of odd for software billed as "pro" don't ya think? Understandabe not being able to use the styles, but only having *one* surface texture? Wierd. To break up a mildly complex object would be more trouble than it's worth.

Return to posts index

Jon Okerstrom
on Dec 31, 2005 at 4:29:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

When it come to 3D, no one application can be all things to all people. Invigorator Pro AE and ProAnimator are absolutely the best in the world at the primary tasks for which they were designed. Nothing comes close to the speed, power and ease of use, when it comes to creating and animating 3D text, logos and the like. They're definitely "pro" apps and getting better all the time.

At the same time, they're not Maya or Lightwave and they're not trying to be. I am a huge fan of Invigorator and use it a lot, but I also use Lightwave and Electric Image. To me, it's important to have a variety of tools in my arsenal, to give me flexibility to choose the best tool for the job.

Having said that, Zax and his development team are very responsive when it comes to meeting the needs of users. Let them know what you would like to see for new features. If there's a lot of demand for something, you can bet they're working on it.

I hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

jeffrey fitzgerald
on Jan 2, 2006 at 3:59:07 am

I understand much of that Jon. But we're not talking about 3DI not having meta nurbs or some outlandish component missing. I agree that Zaxwerks seems to be extremely friendly and attentive and I'm not knocking them per se.

Simply doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have labored to ad object import but not add even a few surfaces. That's a basic construct of using 3d models.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]