ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Logo rotation question

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
E Blitzer
Logo rotation question
on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:48:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to Zaxwerks and have a simple question that I can't seem to answer by looking thru the manual. I have a logo that basically looks like an exclamation point. It imported fine, but now I need to rotate it. I'd like to keep it upright and simply rotate it on a central vertical axis, but all I seem to be able to do is tumble it so it wheels around in all different directions. I've tried using the tool buttons at the top of the wondow as well as the individual camera rotation sliders, all with the same result. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious, and I've got a client waiting for this animation!

Thanks in advance ~

Return to posts index

John Dickinson
Re: Logo rotation question
on Aug 31, 2005 at 8:29:08 pm

Assuming that your model is in Set 1, all you need to do is animate the "Set 1 Y Rotation" property. Twirl down Sets then twirl down Set 1 and you'll see it there. You may need to reset your model or reimport it to make sure that all of the settings start at their defaults (in case you've been playing around).

best,

JD

John Dickinson
Motionworks
http://www.motionworks.com.au

Return to posts index

E Blitzer
on Aug 31, 2005 at 11:41:14 pm

That's what I did, but it tumbles instead of spins. I tried to figure it out by following your tracking tutoral, and two weird things happened.

First I tried to do a spin with a 3D primitive. When I press the red ball and create a plane, unlike the plane in the tutoral which is standing straight up, mine is tilted slightly forward on its axis, even after I press the 'Move to center' button. I think this is why it tumbles instead of just spins. I corrected that issue by rotating the plane slightly to tilt it back up straight. Then when I set Y rotation keyframes, it spun just like I wanted it to.

Next, I tried the same routine with the logo, importing it and centering it on the grid, then rotating it slightly so that it did actually look straight. What I noticed, though, was a red hatch mark far behind the logo on the grid. When I set the Y rotation, the logo stays straight, but now it's revolving around an axis point that is placed in space behind it -- It looks like it's on a merry-go-round.

So I guess I have two questions: How can I get ba primitive to start out straight automatically, like it does in the tutorial? More importantly, how do I get my logo's axis point in the right place? Is it a preference in Zaxwerks, or is it an Illustator thing?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

E Blitzer
on Aug 31, 2005 at 11:48:21 pm

....forgot to add that when I imported the AI file, I chose the 'move to center' option...

Return to posts index

E Blitzer
on Sep 1, 2005 at 12:04:03 am

Never mind....I got it. Didn't notice the 'reset pivot point' in the set drop down. It's always the simple stuff that gets ya...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]