ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

needing some expert help with 3D model importing

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bS
needing some expert help with 3D model importing
by
on Aug 15, 2005 at 9:07:41 pm

My client has some very large Alias files that they want me to animate within ProAn. I was able to import a 178MB file, but its not mapped.

? How do I tell them to format the file so that I have a fully mapped and a smaller file that I can animate within ProAn? I believe that they were exporting from Alias as a .wir an importing that into Rhino and exporting as .obj???? I am not an 3D modeler and when they talk about nurbs, polygons, I am not sure what to tell them.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

bS

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
Re: needing some expert help with 3D model importing
on Aug 15, 2005 at 11:31:53 pm

Hi bS.

ProAnimator can import .obj files, as you have seen, but it doesn't import the materials applied to the objects.

Therefore, you'll have to create and apply materials within ProAnimator that contain the same colors and textures as the original models.

The models should have their texture vertices imported properly, so the materials/textures should match pretty well.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Matt Rhodes
Zaxwerks, Inc.

Return to posts index

bS
by
on Aug 16, 2005 at 12:46:18 am

Thanks Matt ~

So there is any way at all to import a file that has client's finished surface? I have seen some .3ds files with finished surfaces that I can import - 3D Cafe freebies? I don't mind telling someone the process as long as a process exits to do so...

Thanks again for the info, but is there any work around so that I am not trying to recreate a clients work. These are large product models for future production.

bS

Return to posts index

Matt Rhodes
on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:43:41 pm

Hi bS.

At this point, we only import 3D geometry. While we will auto-create materials for 3DS files
(and a few other 3D file types), we don't auto-create materials with textures applied.

I'll put this on a list of requested features.

Matt

Return to posts index

bS
by
on Aug 16, 2005 at 4:50:56 pm

Again, Matt, Thank you.

As I am not a 3D modeler, can you explain the your statement "..we will auto-create materials for 3DS files (and a few other 3D file types), we don't auto-create materials with textures applied" Does this mean if I tell them they have to create a 3DS file with "materials" - this could be a work around? I just don't know what to tell them as they work within these 3D apps and I do not -

Bottom line - I just need a way of telling clients - Create your files like this......and export out like this..... and send me to incorporate within your animation project. Can this be done in a way that brings over all of their model information??

Thanks once again Matt.

bS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]