ZAXWERKS: Zaxwerks Forum Zaxwerks Tutorials

Image map onto Convex shape

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Clark
Image map onto Convex shape
on May 17, 2005 at 8:13:38 am

Hi
I'm just tyring to make a convex shape (with a tiny illustrator circle) but I'm having problems mapping an image on to this without the image disorting... as though it's trying to map onto a sphere (like a kettle).
You guys have always sorted my problems out... thank you for that.
Any ideas.
Tim

Return to posts index

Zax Dow
Re: Image map onto Convex shape
on May 17, 2005 at 6:58:22 pm

Hi Tim,

The Invigorator always uses UV-style mapping for objects that it builds (objects from .ai files and text). This means the map will wrap itself in and out and around the twists and turns of the model. If you start with a tiny circle you'll get a pinch at the front and back because that is where the polygons condense to a point.

There is also a mapping break between the front, sides and back of the object.

We might be able to give you a more concrete suggestion is we know what your shape looks like and how is it that you'd like the map to appear?

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Tim Clark
on May 17, 2005 at 10:40:35 pm

I'll try to write a breakdown as I don't know how to add a visual.
Element 1. The convex shape is similar in SHAPE to a glass lens, circular from the front and bulging from the side view, thin at the edges and fatter in the middle. As a start, I'd like this pretty much full frame.
Element 2. A full frame (720 x576) head and shoulders shot to be mapped on to the front face only.

As you said the image is 'pinching'. I had to put element 2 high up in a thin comp and upside down...
The disk will spin but I will only see the front.

Thank you

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on May 18, 2005 at 7:19:46 pm

AE has an Optics Compensation (Effects>Distort>Optics Compensation) which somewhat mimics this effect. Adjust your Field of View and View Center.

Hope this helps,

kurt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]