MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Borisfx Plugins in Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Shepard
Borisfx Plugins in Media 100
on Sep 26, 2016 at 2:16:58 pm

From time to time, I get email messages selling BorisFx plugins. This morning, for example, I received one from MacVideo Promo that lists "Boris Continuum Color and Tone Unit for $99 - save $200". Some of these plugins actually look quite useful to my Media 100 workflow.

However, I never see Media 100 listed as being supported. Will these plugins work or not in Media 100?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Borisfx Plugins in Media 100
on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:39:06 pm

Most of the Continuum Complete effects are included in Red anyway, which is a part of Media 100. You cannot use the plugins directly inside Media 100, though, only via Red inside Media 100

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 3, 2016 at 10:51:11 pm

Sorry I went a bit crazy in my reply Jack - you probably already have Media 100 & Red.

Floh - although most effects are included in Red anyway - if you did buy filters you were lacking, could you actually use them in Red?

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Oct 4, 2016 at 1:39:16 pm

Ha... no, appreciate all the info, Andrew. Good to know that the vast majority of it is cooked right into Red already. I really need to utilize Red more - there is so much inside of it that it is easy to miss many of its capabilities. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 4, 2016 at 3:32:08 pm

[Andrew Mehta] "Floh - although most effects are included in Red anyway - if you did buy filters you were lacking, could you actually use them in Red?"

Media 100 is a 32 bit app. Red 5.1, wich is bundled with Media 100, is 32 bit as well. As long as the filters are 32 bit also, they should work inside Red inside Media 100. Unfortunately most filters are 64 bit these days. Best is to ask the filters manufacturer if they will work in a 32bit version of Red.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 3, 2016 at 10:46:02 pm

Here's what's in the BCC Unit - Color & Tone:

Here's what's in my Media 100 Suite 2.1.6 [accessible via the Boris Red 5.1 plugin it came with]:

....so all you'd be missing out on, is VideoScope, from the looks of things.

I don't believe Boris Red accepts BCC plugins - instead, Red 5 already has BCC7 and FEC6 filters in it. Whereas the latest version of BCC is BCC 10 which has all the cool Mocha stuff in it, which isn't in Red yet. So Red basically has the BCC filters from a few years ago - they sort of trickle down to Red. Latest version of 64-bit Red is 5.6, the last 32-bit version was 5.4 I believe.
Slight problem is that new versions of Boris Red are now going to be 64bit only, while Media 100 remains 32bit, with a 32-bit version of Red as a plugin.
MacVideoPromo are bundling Standalone 64bit Red with Media 100 Suite - yet the version that works from the Media100 timeline, is still the 32bit version atm. So if Boris Red 6 eventually comes out and has BBC8 filters in it or something, it won't be immediately accessible from the Media100 timeline - although you could always run it standalone, and export out.
On the plus side - as you can plainly see, Media 100 Suite (Media 100 & Boris Red 5.1) already has a tonne of BCC filters, and FEC filters, and other filters too, =D. Tonnes to use, ? - we're rather spoilt for choice. All free to download right now, for a 60 day trial: http://www.media100.com/pages/try-media-100-free-for-60-days

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]