MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ethan BeckerBest settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 11, 2016 at 1:05:48 pm

Hi everyone,

The project I'm working on, is converting my DV and HDV tapes to digital for long time storage. I'm doing a raw digitize of the entire tape into M100, and then exporting to a master QT file. I'm not concerned about file size.

I'm using Apple Pro Res, but I've been having a heck of a time getting the deinterlace setting correct. It seems that everything I try to do, (upper first) lower first, progressive, it's like it has no effect on the final image.

I'd love some input. Should I use a different Codec? I'm looking for the best image quality possible. It seemed to work when I selected one of the DV codecs, at least the interlace problem went away, but the image showed more compression.

I'm working with both DV and HDV formats.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Ethan-

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:17:59 am

May I suggest trying to do the same process in the free Mpeg Streamclip to see if you get different results? If so, perhaps that will help you troubleshoot the problem in Media 100. Maybe.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:29:51 am

Ethan, I am doing exactly that with my previous productions. Importing DVCAM (or DV) tapes to a Media 100 timeline. If the original aspect is 4:3 I take the opportunity of re conforming in 16:9 which Media 100 does brilliantly through their Motion Editor. I steal a little from both top and sides which hardly disturbs the framing.

I then export as you do in the ProRes 422 HQ codec, it is the best codec to use. I then put the resultant file on two separate drives. This is where we might have problems in the future, drives fail!! I did consider using the new tape file archiving systems but thought that I would be over doing it rather, they are for the major broadcasters. As to your field problems, I've not had your experience. My films to date have been interlaced (top field first) although I'm now shooting progressive. In the Media 100 export window you can either check interlaced or leave it unchecked. I've never noticed a problem if I've done this right. What are others doing about archiving, it's the problem for the future now everything is file based.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 9:53:36 am

Do you actually want to deinterlace your footage? You would lose half of your resolution by doing this… or what is the goal you want to achieve?

Return to posts index

Ethan BeckerRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:20:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the input. My goal is to create un-cut digital copies of the tapes. In all, I have 85 tapes.

I've been digitizing, the older ones are DV, (4:3) and as we move ahead in years, it will be 16:9, and then HDV in the more recent years.

I did learn something (trial and error) when I export from M100, if I choose DV as the codec, I seem to get image quality that mirrors the original footage, with a much smaller file size than when I use Apple Pro Res, also, no issues on the interlacing!

So, I may have solved this problem. As I move into my HDV tapes, I'm sure what to expect!

Best,
Ethan-

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 1:54:55 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:03:15 pm

In my experience,
the de-interlace tickbox, and cropping options on Quicktime Exports in Media 100 (i.e. the options associated with the Export to Other: Quicktime Movie radio button) simply do not work.
To get de-interlacing to work, I export a By-reference Movie (although you could also export a self contained if desired) and then open it up in Quicktime Player 7 ( downloaded from here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923 ). From Quicktime Player 7, I go to File->Export..., select "Export: Movie to Quicktime Movie" and hit the "Options..." button, and I get the same option dialogue box I would get within Media 100, if I had hit the "Options..." button next to Media 100's Export to Other: Quicktime Movie radio button, except in Quicktime Player 7, the size options, including the "De-interlace source video" tickbox, actually work - so I export my file through Quicktime Player 7.

I have only noticed this problem since upgrading from OSX Leopard to OSX Mavericks.
In short - I believe that on newer MacOS operating systems, the Quicktime Export options within Media100 are a bit unreliable. I'd export the file as simply as possible from Media 100, and then handle things like de-interlacing in another program - in my case I used Quicktime Player 7.
Marcus, as you read, recommends MPEG Streamclip.
I'm sure there must be other programs too.

Floh of course is the sensible professional - I didn't even stop to think deinterlacing could lose resolution, XD. I just think of progressive as standard for the web, and computers, and modern screens, =).

Perhaps not converting DV at all, is the best way to archive it? I typically run DV into Media100 using Firewire, (I have a thunderbolt to firewire adapter that works well) and use the DV codec.

I have little to no experience with HDV, so can't say much there, although I'm aware Media 100 does have a HD Firewire HDV option under Source In - so that presumably allows you to capture the HDV. The DV codec is SD only, so great for archiving DV, yet inadequate for HDV. My guess is that one of the HD codecs is the way to go, and Apple ProRes sounds like it should do the job. So I guess, export from Media 100 as it is, and do your deinterlacing in another program, or leave it interlaced.

Can the deferred HDV acquire option be used, to keep digital copies of original HDV?
Does Media 100 store the original files in a temporary folder anywhere, before they are transcoded?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adbjZ7WEpyM

There are some old FireStore DTE devices which attach to a firewire connection, and write incoming HDV to a harddrive or compact flash card, without touching the codec at all, so you get the same quality as on the tape. You could do this, and then just copy the clips from the DTE hard drive or compact flash card to whatever storage you're saving all your exports to. Of course, it won't be quicktime - however, it will be archived HDV.

Return to posts index

Ethan BeckerRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:24:22 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful.

I don't really want to delinterlace, I just wanted the deinterlacing "issue" to go away. Meaning, when the camera was moving or fast motion, that I would not see the lines created by interlacing issues.

It seems that when I choose to export to the DV codec, the problem goes away. Yes, the original tapes are DV, so it's kind of a Duh, moment. But, I was looking for maximum image quality, so I thought ProRes was the way to go.

So far, it looks pretty good. When I get to my HDV tapes, I'm not sure which codec to use.

Best,
Ethan-

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 19, 2016 at 4:09:31 pm

Glad to hear everything's looking good DV wise, at the moment, =).

On HDV...
...well, I'm gonna guess Apple Pro Res 422 would be fine for the codec.

I'm guessing you'll always see the lines from interlacing, if the footage is interlaced, and the screen you're viewing it on is progressive (as most computer monitors are).
The lines won't be there, when the footage is played on a TV screen that supports interlacing (I believe all TVs do).
An interlacing problem could still be visible on a TV however, if the field order was set incorrectly at some stage in the process.

If your HDV footage is 720p, then it's progressive, and will look fine on both TVs and computer monitors.

Still, those are guesses (I'm inexperienced with HD), and hopefully someone with a HDV camera, can chip in, and let us know how they handled this.

I wonder if the DV footage you didn't notice any problems with, was progressive, or whether it was interlaced, and was just being played back as progressive by your computer program, so it wouldn't look strange on screen? Or did you view the DV footage on an external monitor/TV?

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Best settings for export to Quicktime for DV and HDV Master file
by on Sep 20, 2016 at 10:23:42 am

Andrew, I'm really worried about something that you've said about QT Export from Media 100. You thought that the new OS (anyone after Leopard), has affected the QT export function in Media 100. I'm just upgrading (?) to Yosemite from Mountain Lion, merely so I can install and use Sony Catalyst Browse for converting files shot in the Sony XAVC codec which my proposed new camera will shoot in. Hitherto I've had really good quality exports as QT ProRes 422 HQ .mov files. Will I not be able to reliably do this with the Yosemite OS?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2016 at 10:44:48 am

Didn't mean to alarm.

Exporting files to Quicktime works fine.
It's just the checkboxes under the "Size" options that don't work.
I've had problems with the de-interlacing checkbox.
Gerry has had problems with the Preserve Aspect Ratio Using Crop option.

The file still exports fine - those two settings are just ignored when in Media 100.
If you need those settings - you can open an exported file in Quicktime Player 7.6.6. and then export again from there, where the checkboxes mentioned do work.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2016 at 6:38:04 pm

Thanks Andrew, not unduly alarmed but I don't want any nasty surprises when I upgrade to Yosemite and possibly Media 100 Suite 2.1.7 (from 2.1.5).

I'm now shooting Progressive so the de interlacing factor won't arise. Thanks for your advice.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]