MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Any currently available I/O devices for Media 100?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert L. Kopf
Any currently available I/O devices for Media 100?
on May 30, 2016 at 6:48:03 pm

I want to set up a new Media 100 system. But looking at the Media 100 FAQ, under "Which third-party video I/O hardware works with Media 100?" I see nothing that seems to be currently available from AJA. Does anybody know how I can put together a Media 100 system?

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
Re: Any currently available I/O devices for Media 100?
on May 31, 2016 at 3:42:49 pm

Hello Robert,

The primary device that Media 100 supported, in the end, from AJA was the Kona LHi, which should still be available for purchase -
https://www.aja.com/en/products/kona-lhi

Note that you would need to use this in a silver Mac Pro Tower, rather than the black cylinder-shaped ones, as the new models do not support the physical PCI slotting that the card uses; AJA does have a wire assembly that allows this card to work with the new Mac Pro models, but Media 100 will not recognize the card as being present.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Robert L. Kopf
on Jun 2, 2016 at 3:26:55 am

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to find an inteface that would work over Thunderbolt or USB3 or something, to allow me to use a Macbook Pro, iMac or other non-PCI Mac.

Assuming that I have to get a silver tower Mac Pro, what model or models should I look for? What spec's matter to the ingest of media for the Media 100?

Is it possible (or desirable) to ingest video by some means other than using the Media 100? In other words, could I use something like one of the Blackmagic Designs converter boxes or some other interface, and ingest video into the computer using that and some app like Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro 7, or whatever, and then open and edit the saved files in Media 100?

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on Jun 6, 2016 at 11:11:41 pm

Aloha Robert - Yes, you can ingest with another application. Just make sure that the codec (ie-ProRes) and settings are the same as what you'll be using in Media 100 for your edit.

Robert C. Stone
http://HippieFilm.com
http://MauiTVSpots.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 2, 2017 at 1:54:11 am

I believe the AJA LHi is qualified to run under Thunderbolt II in the Sonnet SEII expansion chassis which will hold to 2 of the medium length PCIe cards. I have an SE II but do not use it for M100. I have a 2012 Mac Pro Tower I use for the AJA card and M100. It works great with the two 1TB SSD cards from OWC. OWC also sells the Helios II which is basically an SEII OEM. Have one of those as well and it works perfectly and is also supposed to be qualified for the LHi.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, Resolve 12.5.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2 x 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D700: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: Sonnet SEII w 2-960GB SSDs; 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Mitch Merback
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:15:13 pm

I am currently migrating from a silver Mac Pro tower to a new 27" iMac 5k. I am successfully ingesting HD-SDI video via a used Aja ioXT. M100 2.1.7 seems to be working fine so far under OSX Sierra, but Boris Red 5.1 is running sloooooow. Anybody have an idea how to get it up to speed? Will post query under separate post soon...

Mitch Merback

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 8, 2017 at 11:54:13 am

Hey Mitch, just as a matter of interest, why are you switching from your MacPro Tower? I know that these are now getting old but I still have a 2009 model and, to keep it up to speed, have installed a fast SSD Drive. I really don't want to change and hope that I can continue with this computer for years.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Mitch Merback
on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:36:44 pm

Hi Michael, my 2008 MacPro is starting to have issues with the mother board recognizing the ram modules, causing hangs and startup problems. Not switching over entirely though - We bought an identical functioning backup 2008 MacPro for $500 to keep M100 humming along for legacy projects. Still, we are planning to start shooting 4k content, and hope the Thunderbolt 2 interface (and 32 GB of ram with a new Pegasus array will speed us along (not so much with M100, but with rendering in After Effects and/or Boris). Also moving away from Drobo Pro iSCSI storage - it works okay for now, but have been very disappointed with their support...

Mitch Merback

Return to posts index

Andrew Golden
on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:28:32 pm

Hi Robert,

The AJA Kona 3G, Kona LHi, and Kona LHe+ are all still sold by AJA and supported in the latest version of Media 100. There are also current Blackmagic Design cards that will work as well.

These cards will also work with the New Mac Pro via a Thunderbolt expansion chassis. I have used a Sonnet Echo Express chassis with AJA cards and Media 100 with success. I believe there are some posts here in the forum that also state that the cards will work fine connected via thunderbolt in an expansion chassis.You can search this particular Media 100 Forum for Thunderbolt to see some other experiences.

Andrew

Andrew S. Golden
Director of VCA Services
Video Corporation of America
7 Veronica Avenue
Somerset, NJ 08875
http://www.vca.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]