MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDD Array - What you using now?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Price
HDD Array - What you using now?
on Mar 11, 2016 at 8:14:47 pm

What are you currently using for your HDD set-up?

I use the internal drives (in my MacPro) as well as USB 3.0 external drives for editing. The internal drives give me no problems at all and the single, external drives work well enough but will occasionally cause performance errors to pop up and sync issues between the video and audio channels. Luckily, they don't occur enough to make it a serious issue. Most of my work is 1080p or 720p in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

I've never really used the multi clip function before. However, I've recently found a need for it and my current external HDD set-up apparently won't support it. The playback is stuttered and unreliable - although no error messages are typically presented.

If you're doing multi clip editing, what external HDD configuration are you using? Are the external USB3.0 RAID5 HDD arrays capable of supporting this type of editing? Keep in mind that I'm working on non-cylinder MacPros - meaning no thunderbolt support.

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.10.5
Dual 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.6
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #3
---------------------
MacBook Pro OS10.9
13" Retina, Late 2013
Single 2.4GHz Intel-core i5 (4-cores)
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.4
No input card

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
Re: HDD Array - What you using now?
on Mar 12, 2016 at 4:47:51 am

One raid array that I would recommend is the OWC Thunderbay drives. You can "raid" them in multiple ways and they are blazing fast. But they are thunderbolt and not USB 3.0.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 12, 2016 at 10:56:46 am

I'm still using Lacie D2 Firewire drives - actually triple interface - Firewire 800, USB3, eSata. The last one I bought was a 3TB drive, for around £150. http://www.morecomputers.com/product.aspx?pn=301549EK&man=LaCie
I plug them into my MacBookPro via a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. Of course, you could plug yours straight in, since you probably have FireWire on your MacPro.
USB3 is supposed to be faster than Firewire isn't it? So perhaps this isn't a solution for you. Unless it's dodgy USB3 support that is the culprit regarding your random problems, =S.

However, I'm more a hobbyist. Last professional project I worked on was 2007, when I was working in Standard Definition with Media100i. Even then, I had some issue with drives - as the G4 I used only had Firewire400, not 800. I resolved those problems by using my internal hard drive for digitising, and then the external firewire drives for storage [i.e. as I needed more space on the internal, I would bump footage off to the external, and Media100 could read it fine].
That was 2007, so I too would be interested to hear of people's modern setups, =).

Hoping to do my first professional project again in June 2016, working with a tapeless workflow and HD footage, for the first time. =). So hoping my Lacie D2 is up to it! XD.
I don't even have a RAID setup. >_<.
Some of the internal drives in my old G4 were setup as a RAID however - it was a second hand Media 100 System from Daryl Brown of Brown Cow Media - he'd put three internal hard drives into a raid. Bought off him in 2004 - good for the time, =).

Sorry I can't say - yes - solved that problem - I use X, Y or Z every day with Media 100 on awesome 4K projects, and it goes swimmingly. =).

Hopefully I'll have more experience to share, as I get back into video editing, and can report how my Lacie handles what I throw at it, ^_^.

I should add I haven't used the Lacie much yet. And some footage I bumped off of the internal to go onto an external drive actually went to a £60 external consumer-level Toshiba USB3 drive my sister got me as a Christmas present one year. XD. No problems on that so far - playing back Pro Res 720p footage (originally imported from a 4th Gen iPod Touch).

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Mar 12, 2016 at 6:31:40 pm

I recently edited a two-camera interview using MultiClip. I used my older MacBook Pro with a G-Tech 2TB G-Drive (non-RAID) via Firewire 800 (directly into the MBP) and had no problems.

An option on this particular MBP is eSata, which I have never used but have drives with that connection as well as the interface to make it happen.

eSata is supposed to be much faster than Firewire so if you have that port on your Mac, give it a try.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 12, 2016 at 11:03:08 am

Reading your post again,
your emphasis is on how the hard drive setup fares with Multi-clip editing.
I shall have to try out the feature, and see how much more demanding it is, =S.

My only suggestion if you need faster drives, yet can't use Thunderbolt, would be to consider SSD solutions, whether internal [PCIe?] or external.

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:20:52 pm
Last Edited By Ben Price on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:31:53 pm

New development...

I was thinking that the client-supplied USB 3.0, 2.5 inch, bus powered drive is only a 5400 rpm device. So, I duplicated the entire project (file structure and all) to a drive that I know is 7200 rpm (3.5" w/ separate power supply) and tried running the project. Unfortunately, all natively imported video media is deemed 'offline' and missing from the project. However, the associated audio tracks are still 'online' as well as any other media (video, stills, and audio) that was imported and converted to the project media standard. (Meaning that the native import process is less reliable?)

With the exception of the HDD name, the file structure is the same. The media attributes (via Info) is exactly the same. The 'Media Locations' tab is pointing to the right folder. Everything is where it should be, but the media can't be found. If I plug in the original HDD and either manually point to the original media location (via Media Locations) or simply run 'Relink Media' (where the project finds the original media on the slower HDD), my media is found. My media works off of one HDD, but not another?

[*Edit* - I renamed the duplicate HDD to match the client-supplied one and give the project the exact same file structure. Unfortunately, the issue persists.]

I'm a bit confused. I've been editing with natively imported footage for the last three years without any problems. And, I back up (or transfer) projects to other HDDs all the time and haven't seen this issue before.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Mar 13, 2016 at 5:32:56 am

Well... wish me luck.

I've ordered an OWC Mercury Rack Pro 4-bay 16TB RAID 5 box. I have no idea if it will solve my multi-clip performance issues, but with all four drives striped together it SHOULD provide the fastest data throughput possible on my system outside of a SAS setup or maybe fiber channel.

All of the math and forum comments I could find say that this drive solution will provide enough bandwidth support through a USB 3.0 port for at least seven streams of ProRes (HQ) and easily one or two streams of compressed 4k. Dunno... the last RAID array I used was a pair of 4-bay Rorke Data SCSI 320 arrays... and that was at least eight to ten years ago.

So... fingers crossed and I'll let you know how it goes.

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.10.5
Dual 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.6
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #3
---------------------
MacBook Pro OS10.11
13" Retina, Late 2013
Single 2.4GHz Intel-core i5 (4-cores)
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.4
No input card

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 13, 2016 at 6:09:01 am

Crossing my fingers for you!

It would suck if you had enough bandwidth, and then copying the files over didn't work again. >_<.
Bizarre bug you described earlier.

Keep us posted, =).

P.S. - Hey - looks cool =D. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRP1UF8U3EP/

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Mar 13, 2016 at 6:01:07 pm

Just a stab in the dark here... is the drive formatted correctly (Mac vs. MS-DOS)?

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Mar 13, 2016 at 7:35:40 pm

Great question... and yes... the HDD is formatted for Mac - OS Extended (Journaled).

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 13, 2016 at 6:35:02 am

Does your system 3 in your signature - your MacBook Pro - have thunderbolt? If so, there's a solution under your nose.

Have you verified via [Apple icon in Finder while holding ALT/Option]->System Information->Hardware->USB that your USB ports on your MacPro are USB3.0 and not USB2?

MacPro 4,1 is supposed to have x5 USB2 ports according to MacTracker, so I assume it needs a card to use USB3. Haven't read this thread fully, but Google threw it up:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-0-for-macpro-4-1.1542600/

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Mar 13, 2016 at 10:06:16 am

The MacBook Pro does have thunderbolt, but it's not my everyday editor. In truth, I almost never use it because my wife has claimed it as her own.

The MacPro3,1 I have locally (in Colorado) has a 4-port USB 3.0 PCIe card installed. That's what I use to edit off of with the single drive enclosures and what I'll use for the new 4-bay RAID enclosure.

The other MacPro4,1 system also has a USB3.0 card in it, but it is in Texas and not my 'daily driver'.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Mar 13, 2016 at 2:32:40 pm

Sounds like you're good to go when your device arrives then, =). Let us know how it goes.

I never stopped to think a multi-camera edit is streaming multiple video streams, and may therefore be more demanding.

Return to posts index

Ben Price
Re: HDD Array - What you using now? *UPDATE*
on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:39:53 pm
Last Edited By Ben Price on Mar 15, 2016 at 9:05:40 pm

I received the OWC Mercury Rack Pro this morning. (16TB, 4-bay enclosure in a RAID5 configuration). It only took around 15 minutes to unpack, install, and have the array mounted to the desktop and ready for use. Unfortunately, transferring the multicam project that necessitated this purchase took a little over 2 hours. That said, I still couldn't be happier.

The project media files that would not relink when moved to other HDDs was immediately and automatically found upon project launch. The multicam (MulitClip) clips play back without a single hiccup. These clips contain three tracks of 720p60 Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) footage with realtime ColorFX and AudioFX settings applied. I also tested a MultiClip with eight (8) tracks of 720p60 Apple ProRes 422 for playback. In this instance, I did get some performance hiccups after about two minutes of playback. I can't be sure if it was the array or not as my Activity Monitor app was also indicating that all 8-cores of my CPU were at 100%.

Oh... this thing is quiet, too. My MacPro makes more noise at idle than the array does during playback.

As it stands a few hours in on day #1, I would absolutely recommend this as a possible solution for those of you looking to add an array to your editing set-up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]