MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Reacquiring Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cornelis van LiempdReacquiring Media 100
by on Nov 12, 2015 at 7:24:16 pm

First this; I started non linear editing in 1993.
I always used Media 100. In 2010, I was 60, I quit.
Now in 2015 I exchanged my Apple G4 for a G5 and the latest Media 100 software, Boris Fx and Red.
All the different codecs etc. are new but I solved almost all of my problems. Almost.
I was used to acquire (from betacamtape) in low res (draft) and after finishing the editing I reacquired the video shots used in the timeline in the highest resolution.
Now I import "files" from digital camera's (no tapes). I want to import them in draft (saving disc space) and upgrade the images after completing the editing from draft to 8 or 10 bit non compressed.
But the manual explains only reacquiring from tape.
The question is:how do I do that?

Cornelis van Liempd, Nederland.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Reacquiring Media 100
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 10:22:50 am

Disk space is cheap these days, and Codecs like ProRes are really good. If you want to go uncompressed HD you need some seriously fast and big RAIDs. Therefore I would recommend working in ProRes through your whole production. Reacquiring of non-tape based media is non-trivial in Media 100 and not recommended.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Reacquiring Media 100
by on Nov 16, 2015 at 1:36:54 pm

Cornelis, I heartily endorse what Floh has said (is he not always brilliantly right?). You won't spot any difference with the ProRes file, the engineers have done wonderfully well in designing this codec. I find that thirty minutes of HD comes in well under 50GB's in ProRes 422 HQ. Modern drives have capacity in TB's now so you shouldn't have a problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved