MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Display Media 100 HD on two monitors

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Barrett
Display Media 100 HD on two monitors
on Oct 11, 2015 at 3:58:30 pm

I'm probably way out of date but is there a way I can use two computer monitors with my Media 100 HD. I have a G5 with two Dvi outputs but only on OS 10.4 - can I display just the Med 100 'Monitor' view on one of the monitors ?
Is that wonderful Floh Peters still around ? He would know !
Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Display Media 100 HD on two monitors
on Oct 11, 2015 at 7:37:14 pm

Ever since I started with Media 100 in 1996 I've used two computer screens for editing, is this what you mean Chris? I certainly had this when I was using your MacG5, just as I can now with the MacPro.

Yes, that wonderful Floh Peters is still around (thank goodness), and he may well see your post, although I'm not sure how often he looks nowadays.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Chris Barrett
on Oct 11, 2015 at 10:46:22 pm

Yes Michael, but I can find nothing in my documentation within Media 100 or the Mac stuff that shows me how to do it. My Mac is G5 intel and Media 100 HDe vers. 11.6.2
The graphics card has two DVI outputs and since my normal Sony monitors are not really geared for HD and my 20 inch sony switchable to 16:9 is left in UK I wondered if I could display the Video edit screen playback in Media 100 on a separate computer monitor on its own ? I have not tried plugging in another DVI monitor but even if I do I see nothing in Media 100 menus about displays.
Chris

Believe what I see!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 13, 2015 at 11:21:36 am

Sorry Chris for my somewhat unhelpful reply. I rely totally on my computer supplier for all the connecting up. I find shooting and editing documentaries quite demanding enough without having to deal with the computer techy stuff!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2015 at 7:15:24 pm

Hi Chris!

If you're just using two screens with OSX, you don't need to touch any Media 100 settings. It's all in the Display preferences of System Preferences (the cog in the dock).

As soon as you plug in your second screen via DVI, Mac OSX will detect it, and show the OS on both screens. Then in display preferences, you can set whether the extra screen is there to give you more room, or simply show the same as on your first screen. If it's setup to give you more room, you can easily drag any application window from one screen to the other with the mouse - including Media 100's Monitor window.

Alternatively, you can get video cards that work with Media 100 and output the video you're editing to a HDMI cable, which you could plug into any monitor with a HDMI socket on the back, to see the video full screen - the same as if you got some sort of converter box to take the video output from your HDe and convert it to HDMI.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2015 at 7:25:05 pm

Basically,
plug in your second screen, and everything should work.

If you need to change settings to get the second monitor showing what you want, then it's
Apple Icon -> System Preferences... -> Displays -> Arrangement

...where you can choose to mirror, or not mirror, which screen gets the menu bar on it, and whether the second screen should be to the right, left, top, or bottom, of the existing screen, etc.

When you launch Media 100, you can click and drag all the various windows to where ever you want them, including dragging the monitor window to the second screen.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2015 at 7:18:27 pm

I believe Floh does still check here, =).
Although Rich recently said he was busy with a production right now.
I'm sure he'll be posting more regularly again soon,
and yes - he is awesome, =D.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:40:31 am

Yeah, I am still around. Have been somewhat busy in the last couple of weeks, doing some productions away from our office, which caused some delay in response times.

If you want to view your video full screen on one of the monitors, there is no "official" way to do that from within Media 100 to one of your computer screens. You only can make your viewer as large as possible (depending on your Media100 version this goes up to the resolution of your clip/timeline). But it won´t be used as a "video" monitor, which means that e.g. the refresh rate of your screen will probably not match the refresh rate of your video, which can produce some lines on your display during fast motions. And you will see the rest of the UI. Still, usually this can be quite useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]